Ice Ice Baby

Go down

Ice Ice Baby

Post  Pete Burns on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:08 am

Ran into a bit of ice on our way out to the ramp this morning. Had to pick up the boats and carry them the last 100 yards to the truck! First "ice breaking test" for my hybrids. An awful lot of work for 1 black duck!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Pete Burns
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Re: Ice Ice Baby

Post  Davey Welsh on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:44 am

Dangerous shit man!! What are your boats made of? My buddy has a cedar boat that he nearly sunk a few years ago plowing through ice like that. The ice literally put a hole in the boat that a little kid could crawl through.

Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:14 am

Those condisions dont look to clever for man, dog, and his boat, I think if it was me I would be hunting from the shore rather than the water.
There is a old saying, Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. No not me mate

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Burns on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:20 am

Haha, you guys must think I have a death wish! The boats are glass over plywood. When we launched in the morning that creek was open only had ice right at the ramp. The bay had a little slurry at the surface and where we were set up it was wide open. When the tide came in all of the slushy ice must have been pushed up in that creek so despite climbing temps, the ice got worse. Up to point where the pic was taken it was fairly soft and slushy but eventually got the too hard to proceed safely. That's where we had to get out and carry the boats to the truck. That is a huge benefit of hunting these hybrids. If you run out of water you can just pick them up and carry or drag them.

Here is a pic of some brant swimming in the blocks same morning

Pete Burns
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig F on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 am

Those little rigs look great as pond boxes and for use in smaller rivers and lakes, but I would be extremely careful using them on the bay and I'm going to leave it at that Wink
Craig F
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:15 am

Those boats are pretty niffty Pete. Did you design them yourself? And I know what you mean when you leave the ramp and theres little ice and you come back to what you see in your first picture. That actually happened to me on the Delaware a couple years ago. Went out in the morning and there was only a little bit of ice here and there. When the tide started going out, it pulled so much ice off the marsh. I started heading back to the ramp and the ice I had to get through was insane. A few times the boat got stuck on top of ice bergs that it couldn't break through. Scary.

Glad you guys made it back safe. cheers

Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Burns on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:39 am

I got the ideas for the build from Missed Again on the Refuge forums. He actually sells plans to build a few different versions of the hybrid duck boat. There is a 187 page thread on that forum about hybrid builds and I just gathered info from there and came up with my own design. It can be launched pretty much anywhere you can access by foot because at 70 pounds without the motor and gear it easily carried or dragged by one man. This allows you to hunt the boat even when it's snotty because you're not limited to using a ramp and then crossing open water to get to your hunting spot. You can dump it in a tidal creek and never have to cross open water.
Pete Burns
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum