The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mighty Layout Boys Sneak Boxes

+7
Buck C
David "swampy" L
Scott Salzer
mtessar
Ryan McGinty
Craig F
Russell Vrhovac
11 posters

Go down

Mighty Layout Boys Sneak Boxes Empty Mighty Layout Boys Sneak Boxes

Post  Russell Vrhovac Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Anyone on the forum have experience with the MLB Sneak Boxes? I was looking at the Chuck Huff or Zack Taylor boats and they look nice but there isn't much info on the website. Thoughts???
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Mighty Layout Boys Sneak Boxes Empty Re: Mighty Layout Boys Sneak Boxes

Post  Craig F Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:28 pm

If you want the chuck huff, save some cash and just find a higbee in good shape. It's the same boat, just stretched a bit with a very large cockpit.
Craig F
Craig F
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McGinty Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:31 pm

I actually have 2 higbees for sale if your intrested. the one has the 2 man hatch so it is alittle more stretched out and that boat has never even been painted you can still the grid pattern on it from the mold.

Ryan McGinty
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Mighty Layout Boys Sneak Boxes Empty For Sale

Post  Russell Vrhovac Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Ryan,

I would have to sell my current boat first which is a homebuilt (not by me) cedar over mahogany ribs SneakBox first in order to liberate the appropiate funds. What is your opinion of the Higbees? I like my boat but was starting to consider something lighter in fiberglass. I have considered too getting a tandem trailer for two boxes so i don't have to hunt alone. I know someguys like the wood boats, as do I too but sometimes the weight is an issue. Do you know the approx weight of the Higbees, max HP and other information.

Ryan McGinty wrote:I actually have 2 higbees for sale if your intrested. the one has the 2 man hatch so it is alittle more stretched out and that boat has never even been painted you can still the grid pattern on it from the mold.
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McGinty Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:01 pm

me and my brother both have them and really like them. the only reason we are talking about selling is because we are always hunting with more guys. the max horse i beleive is 15 i run a 15 honda 4 stroke on mine. not sure about the top speed but they move pretty good. i have always felt very safe in mine even when it gets ugly out. i know alot of guys perfer the wood boats because there more stable but i have never been in one so i cant really compare. if it helps any my higbee with me a my dog run dead even with a 15' john boat with a 25 hp with a guy and dog. if your ever in the south jersey area your more than welcome to take one for a run somewhere i am always up for getting out on the water.

Ryan McGinty
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  mtessar Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:14 am

How much are you selling them for?
Ryan McGinty wrote:I actually have 2 higbees for sale if your intrested. the one has the 2 man hatch so it is alittle more stretched out and that boat has never even been painted you can still the grid pattern on it from the mold.
mtessar
mtessar
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Salzer Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:35 pm

I have a Huff and like it. Mine is newer. The older ones flex alot from what I've been told. Mine has the diab foam glassed into the floor.

Scott Salzer
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McGinty Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:35 pm

mine has a 15 hp 2001 honda electric start ready to hunt for 3,200 and my brother has the one with a 84 15 hp johnson for 2,200

Ryan McGinty
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  David "swampy" L Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:14 am

Save your money and buy something proven! Lot of issues! I can put you in touch with 2 folks that have MLB HUFF's and HATE THEM. One Guy in NH has glas cracking and MAJOR hull flexing and the boat is only 2 years old and kept GARAGED!

Also bad reports on the new ownership......MUCH MUCH Better Box's out there!

David "swampy" L

Back to top Go down

Mighty Layout Boys Sneak Boxes Empty Thanks for the replies.

Post  Russell Vrhovac Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 am

I am definately getting mixed reviews on the MLB Boats. I am sure that they are fine boats and as with any boat manufacturer they will have their pros and cons. I will probably keep my wood box for the time being. I have had no real issues with it to speak of and I am definately better with wood repairs than with fiberglass repairs. The thing I really like about the glass boats are the lighter weight and lower maintenance. I also like the smaller lighter ones as I was comtemplating in the future of getting a tandem trailer to put two of them on. Maybe I will just build two smaller ones later. Twice the fun! Thanks for all the comments guys, they are very helpful.

David "swampy" L wrote:Save your money and buy something proven! Lot of issues! I can put you in touch with 2 folks that have MLB HUFF's and HATE THEM. One Guy in NH has glas cracking and MAJOR hull flexing and the boat is only 2 years old and kept GARAGED!

Also bad reports on the new ownership......MUCH MUCH Better Box's out there!
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Buck C Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:47 pm

As others have said. Look for a Higbee. I have 2 MLB layouts, both are good boats but I bought a Higbee when one came along.

Buck C
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Mighty Layout Boys Sneak Boxes Empty My MLB Huff Box

Post  nybrowndawg Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:18 pm

I have the 8th Huff box made by MLB. I think it's a great boat. Wide open hammering waves with my 9.5 and not an issue. I'm estimating 15-20 mph (haven't GPS'd it yet).

nybrowndawg
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Stupp Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Russell Vrhovac wrote:I was comtemplating in the future of getting a tandem trailer to put two of them on.

That's why we've built a few 2 man boxes. Same basic design, just wider. Super stable and really low drafting.

Mighty Layout Boys Sneak Boxes 2manst10

Mighty Layout Boys Sneak Boxes 2manmi10
Kevin Stupp
Kevin Stupp
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:37 am

Kevin, do you have a picture of how the blind works right in front of the gunner? I like that idea, just curious how it is held upright.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Stupp Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Davey Welsh wrote:Kevin, do you have a picture of how the blind works right in front of the gunner? I like that idea, just curious how it is held upright.

Davey, I'll see if I can find a picture. Not sure if I have any of the blind on the inside.

Basically it's a 1/2" conduit bow that sit into a loose 2 hole hanger on each side of the cockpit. From there to the transom is a canvas with grass that snaps in place. From the bow up is plastic bristles (from a shop broom) that are sandwich between 2 strips of 1/4" luan. That is attach to a 3/8" copper bow. I use that so it bends a little to make small adjustments. That bow can be atttached to shoot through the bristles or hinged to flip down.
Kevin Stupp
Kevin Stupp
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  OTTO BRAUN Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:34 am

i have had one for 3 seasons. it is 14" and i run 25 Yamaha on it. it is fast! its faster then the Roy boats. i got a chance to run 3 this summer 2 12' with 25s and 14' with a 40 all Yamaha. some were quick but not as quick as the huff. the Roy boats are great boats and ride a lot smoother then the huff because of the deep v. but they also draft a lot more. and the huff also hides easy in low grass. James is delivering my brother one in September. it runs great with a 15 also.

Last edited by OTTO BRAUN on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total

OTTO BRAUN
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  OTTO BRAUN Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:41 am

here is a pic of the first time i had it out. just sitting in the grass at the dock at high tide.
Mighty Layout Boys Sneak Boxes Phone_13

OTTO BRAUN
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Salzer Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:42 am

Wow, I can't believe you run a 25 on yours Otto. I run a 15 Yamaha and the thing hauls a$$.

Scott Salzer
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Stupp Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:46 am

I know guys that run 25s on 11' Schellinger Low Boxes. They tell me they can hit 40mph. You don't have to run it wide open though.
Kevin Stupp
Kevin Stupp
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Mighty Layout Boys Sneak Boxes Empty Huff box with a 25

Post  nybrowndawg Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:28 pm

I have a picture of Jamie running the prototype with a 25 on it and it was planing and haulin A**. How do you have the front lights mounted? right to the racks?

nybrowndawg
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  OTTO BRAUN Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:23 pm

i machined a bracket out of aluminum and plated the other side of the hull with a 1/4" stainless steel plate.

OTTO BRAUN
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Salzer Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:09 am

I'd be scared $hitless at 40 mph!

Scott Salzer
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down