The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Robertson Effect on Duck Hunting

5 posters

Go down

The Robertson Effect on Duck Hunting Empty The Robertson Effect on Duck Hunting

Post  Russell Vrhovac Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:49 am

Hey guys,
I just wanted to start a conversation regarding what I have heard referenced as the "Robertson Effect" on the number of new duck hunters. I hunt primarily on public land and between last season and this season I have noticed about a 400% increase in young hunters competing for places on public land. This translates to me getting up that much earlier to get a decent spot and seeing a lot of sky-busting on birds that may have decoyed in. It was so bad that I didn't even hunt today which is the last day of the early season in VA. I agree that more hunters is good for the sport but overall the hunter numbers have dropped nationwide inversly related in more populated areas like where I live the numbers have increased. Just wanted to see if y'all (Translated 'you all' in English Northern Dialect Wink are seeing the same trend. I am hoping the newbies thin out after a year or two but who knows. Everytime I go to Walmart or Bass Pro (one step up from Walmart and only when I have to) there are more and more bilboards with the faces of Willie and Co. I enjoy the Duck Dynasty show and appreciate the message of God and Hunting and Family but what is it doing to duck hunting? Thoughts or comments?

Russell
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

The Robertson Effect on Duck Hunting Empty Re: The Robertson Effect on Duck Hunting

Post  Rick Godsey Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:50 pm

Russ, I think a lot of the "newbies" will give it up when they see its not all like tv. In the  area where I hunt  and back at the ramp I hear why isn't it like the videos. Also up here in NY a lot of the hunters give it up when the weather isn't bluebird days. But if one out of ten will stick to it and want to be a fowler then that is good for us.

Rick
Rick Godsey
Rick Godsey
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

The Robertson Effect on Duck Hunting Empty Agreed

Post  Russell Vrhovac Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:56 pm

Rick,
Thanks for the reply. I was mostly wondering if anyone else is experiencing what I am with the numbers of new guys. Glad I'm not the only one. Hope your season is going well. There was a funny story about this a month or so ago about it in Wildfowl that started me thinking. Stay safe out there.

Russell
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

The Robertson Effect on Duck Hunting Empty Re: The Robertson Effect on Duck Hunting

Post  Rick Godsey Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Russ also I hope they don't flood the hunting areas with black hoodies and barrel stickers. To me after 47 years of doing this that just don't fit in. Hey hope the hunting down there is good, I miss hunt back home in South Boston Va where I grew up. Have fun and good luck.

Rick
Rick Godsey
Rick Godsey
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  John Crescio Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Same crybaby from last year, quit hunting join PETA, and further your mission of running hunters off!!!!!!!!:

John Crescio
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Vrhovac Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Ok John... I hear your sarcasm again. My gripe last season was regarding some guys using the buffies for target practice, we have a lot of them in VA but I don't take them for granted. Feel free to add something constructive to the conversation. I started this thread for a conversation and was bashing no one. I take a lot of new guys hunting every year and hope I show them ethics and courtesy. If I don't I'm doing damage to the future of our sport. PETA doesn't need any more ammunition against our heritage. Have you introduced anyone new to waterfowling lately?
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Denis C Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Russ, I saw the same thing in the north zone NJ this year, about double the hunters at a spot I had to myself a few years ago. Most of the new comers I ran into were kids and were pretty receptive to friendly advice or correction. Everyone has to learn, sometimes just sharing your years of experience with a newbe makes for a better day for everyone. The duck dynasty thing is just a passing fad, like most of us who have been doing this too long the work involved is a labor of love for the sport. After the warm days of the early season have gone only the few who really want to know the ropes will show for round two. Let's face it, there is nothing easy or cheap about waterfowling. It doesn't take long for the glamor of a TV show to wear off after one experiences leaky waders, muddy dogs and damaged equipment after a few outings. Duck hunting has a way of culling the true hunters and the wannabes.

Denis C
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Vrhovac Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Denis,

Yeah, I not picking on them. I'm glad there is renewed interest in the sport. They are mostly friendly and open to conversation and suggestions. There are very few veterans in the marsh that aren't helpful. I remember getting started in waterfowling and met some really helpful folks. Thanks for voicing your opinion.

Russell
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Godsey Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:47 am

Russ one other thing I have noticed. Is that stores that would only stock waterfowl gear and equipment once are now keeping more stuff out longer for us. Makes it easier than having to run to several places to find and item now. Guess the in-flow of newbies is good for some things.

Rick
Rick Godsey
Rick Godsey
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Vrhovac Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:36 pm

Hahahahaha, good call Rick! I have been eye-balling a new mallard call Very Happy 
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:46 pm

The Robertson effect? Yeah, its kept me more in the deer woods than the duck marsh this year. Two Saturdays was enough. Somebody needs to tell these guys that just because you paint your face, doesn't mean your gun shoots missles. 100 yards is just a BIT too far for a shotgun. Rolling Eyes 
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Vrhovac Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:31 pm

I just read this on the DU Migration report from North Carolina regarding the new western NC hunters and read this comment, while it is not a 'report' per say, I thought the sentiment was worth noting:

Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013
S. Aikens reported Low numbers; migration starting
SUBMITTED VIA iPhone

Comments: Ok I know Duck Dynasty has brought a bunch of yuppies out. But come on why don't you all try to talk to them maybe ever take one out hunting. Show them how to hunt. Maybe we all will be better off for it. After all our sport is about giving advice . And most importantly the DUCKS! We can always use new supporters of what we do. By all means I'm not sayin give up all your honey holes. Just some ponters. We would all better from it

Maybe the Christmas spirit is kickin' in! Happy Holidays to everyone out there on the marsh.

Russell

Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down