The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what's needed to be legal in a sneakbox in NJ

+3
Capt. Larry M
Davey Welsh
Chris S.
7 posters

Go down

what's needed to be legal in a sneakbox in NJ Empty what's needed to be legal in a sneakbox in NJ

Post  Chris S. Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:15 pm

I think something good to have on the site is a breakdown of what saftey equipment is required by the Coast Gaurd.

I was looking online and didn't find a good answer. I know I need a life jacket. A whistle I didn't know till the other day that I needed a throwable like seat cushion in a sneakbox. Its a one man boat so I figured I wouldn't throw it to myself. Also do I need ariel flares or are the hand held ok. Also the way I read it a sneakbox needs a fire extinguisher because it has decks. Also I didn't carry an anchor all season. I carried a welded hook like mud anchor that the "GODFATHER" gave me and I copied and made more in welding class. So do I need an anchor to be legal. I try to do the right thing and wanna have what's required in my boat so if I get checked its as painless as possible. I can call the coast gaurd and find this stuff out but thought maybe that others might know or also be unsure as I am. Also if someone finds a link to where the info is that would be great. Thanks
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

what's needed to be legal in a sneakbox in NJ Empty Re: what's needed to be legal in a sneakbox in NJ

Post  Davey Welsh Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:16 pm

That's agreat idea Chris. Being prior Coast Guard law enforcement, I will make a sticky in the duck boat section for required gear.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

what's needed to be legal in a sneakbox in NJ Empty throwable

Post  Chris S. Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:06 pm

I just read a bit on the USCG site and boats under 16ft don't need a throwable. And the fire extinguisher is hard to understand. It said that boats under 16ft that that have closed spaces where gas fumes can be trapped and have permanent fuel tanks need a fire extinguiser so a sneakbox has decks and gas could be trapped under the decks but the wording sounds more like for cabins or berthing but the fuel tanks are removable. So I think a fire extinguisher is a good safe thing to have.
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

what's needed to be legal in a sneakbox in NJ Empty Re: what's needed to be legal in a sneakbox in NJ

Post  Chris S. Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Davey Welsh wrote:That's agreat idea Chris. Being prior Coast Guard law enforcement, I will make a sticky in the duck boat section for required gear.

If your gonna do a stickey for gear I would also put in a list of the other things. Not needed but that are good to have like tools extra sparkplugs, extra batteries and members can add things they carry so others can get ideas. Like I spent $20 for an extra cell phone battery
That I keep in my bag that I charge up incase my battery dies I have a back up. Little ideas can save someones life.

I think a Mr buddy propane heater for emergencies is on the list for next year. One day this season I sat through low tide. As the water was running out my sneakbox was high n dry. I walked through about knee deep water and thick snotty bay mud to move my deks into the water. As the water ran out some were sitting on the mud. On my walk back in the mud my feet sunk in the mud and I fell face first in about 2ft of water. So my whole upper body was soaked and I got a good ammount of water down the waders. I had to sit there wet for 5 hours waiting for the tide to come in. Lucky for me it was a warm day like most days were this season. Even with 45 degree weather I was really cold. If it was a normal winter and in the 20's. It woulda been a rough 5 hours. I think a little propane heater under the canvas on my sneakbox would make a world of difference in a situation like that.
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. Larry M Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:09 pm

If the fuel tank isn't permanent and doesnt have a deck fill then I would say the fire extingisher is not needed, from the way I interpet the USCG regs. Not a bad idea but with the little room there is in a sneak box I would opt not to have it. Also Chris I have a Mr Buddy for the Goliath that thing throws off some serious heat dont think I would fire that up in a sneak box too close quarters
Capt. Larry M
Capt. Larry M
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

http://www.limitoutfitters.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris S. Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Capt. Larry M wrote:If the fuel tank isn't permanent and doesnt have a deck fill then I would say the fire extingisher is not needed, from the way I interpet the USCG regs. Not a bad idea but with the little room there is in a sneak box I would opt not to have it. Also Chris I have a Mr Buddy for the Goliath that thing throws off some serious heat dont think I would fire that up in a sneak box too close quarters

Yeah that's how I read it too. That its not required but good to have. I was looking at the mr buddy little buddy its the smallest one they make. Its $50 not like the bigger one that $100 it only puts out 2000 btu where the mr buddy puts out 4000 to 9000 then the big one puts out 9000 to 18000 btu. I will check it out I know Capt. John has a small heater/cooker that he uses. I am sure everyone has seen the pic of him in the sneakbox cooking breakfast with that big smile on his face. Very Happy
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:41 pm

I have the Mr. Buddy portable, I love it. I used it a few times this year on the shelf under my dodger, behind my seat. On LOW setting, this thing is very warm. Great for keeping the hands warm and the propane tanks are cheap ($2ea at Walmart). As long as the heater is a safe distance from your fuel tank, it is fine.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris S. Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:47 pm

They make a smaller one then that called the little buddy that's is the one I was looking at.
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:36 pm

Chris
I sure would,nt one of them in my boat and my little girl passes wind, it would sure fire up my box. Laughing

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

what's needed to be legal in a sneakbox in NJ Empty not a good thing when a dog is around

Post  george w Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:43 pm

About fifteen years ago, Mike Smyser and i were gunning out of his TDB for brant--He had one of those heaters in the boat, since it was damn cold..
After a few retrieves, my old dog, Can shook off and got back into the boat--next thing, i smelled what seemed like singed chicken ppinfeathers--The dog was starting to combust from using the heater to warm himself--needless to say, he was unceremoniously heaved back into the water.. For the dog, a vest is preferable to a hotdog!!!

george w
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

http://george@runamuckdecoys.com

Back to top Go down

what's needed to be legal in a sneakbox in NJ Empty safety

Post  Jim Donofrio Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Fire ext is always good to have plus flares for any possible medivac never know
cant have enough good safety eqt and an overnight emergency bag
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

http://www.JOINRFA.ORG

Back to top Go down

Post  John Mulcahy III Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:07 am

i have a small ext. in my sneak box mounted up on the shelf inside
John Mulcahy III
John Mulcahy III
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down