The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barking on a retrieve

5 posters

Go down

Barking on a retrieve Empty Barking on a retrieve

Post  Jersey Charlie Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:06 am

My yellow lab Millie barks on a retrieve which is ok from the point of being enthusiastic, but she takes in a mouth full of water. That pond water is often very nasty, does anyone get that kind of reaction from their dog?
Charlie
Jersey Charlie
Jersey Charlie
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Barking on a retrieve Empty Re: Barking on a retrieve

Post  Davey Welsh Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:59 am

Interesting...does the dog make any noise when waiting for the retrieve? Like whine, whimper or bark?

Waiting for David L to get his ass over here....he would have better advice than myself.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:39 pm

Davey I have already posted a reply to charles but it has,n t come up

Eddie

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Doesn't look like it went through Eddie. Try again. Sometimes it takes some getting used to the new format.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Davey ok mate hear go,s.
Eddie and Amber

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:41 pm

Charles
can you tell me if millie is a pup or a older dog, here in the UK we frown upon letting any of our dogs bark and we tend to nip it in the bud from the time it starts its dummy training at twenty weeks old, after saying that we play with our dogs and if they want to bark through play time that is aloud, but as soon as we start a training session we dont allow any barking, its time for training not barking and the pup soon learns to distinguish the difference between playtime and trainingtime also when they go into the field or onto the marsh they tend to know its worktime and there again there is no barking or whining allowed, and has soon as they start they are corrected straight away, they soon get the message mate, I hoped this will help you to stop Millie getting a mouthfull of that bad water.

Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Jersey Charlie Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Thank you Eddie. Millie is 5 years old, and she just started with the barking this season. I will go back to basic training after this season, see how we can work this out.
Charlie
Jersey Charlie
Jersey Charlie
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Charles Reina wrote:Thank you Eddie. Millie is 5 years old, and she just started with the barking this season. I will go back to basic training after this season, see how we can work this out.
Charlie

Charles

please dont use any type of shock on her, just do it verbly, Im a guy that doesnt like any form of shocking on a dog, I think it is crule, sorry
mate thats the way I am, guys say that their dog is their best buddy but they shock if it does,nt do as it is told Boy If I was to punch my best mate everytime I told him to do something, he would tell me to piss off and I would,nt have a best mate very long. No

Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Jersey Charlie Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:08 am

Eddie,
I am with you 100%. However, in the right hands it is a tool that works, but it's not for me.
My wife teaches confirmation obedience and you have got to see what she gets them to do with just kindness and the right leadership. So I will put her (the wife that is) to work on stopping Millie from barking on her way out.
Charlie
Jersey Charlie
Jersey Charlie
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:14 am

Charles Reina wrote:Eddie,
I am with you 100%. However, in the right hands it is a tool that works, but it's not for me.
My wife teaches confirmation obedience and you have got to see what she gets them to do with just kindness and the right leadership. So I will put her (the wife that is) to work on stopping Millie from barking on her way out.
Charlie

Charles

Great, glad to hear that.

Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Barking on a retrieve Empty whining, barking etc

Post  george w Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Ed, i have a 110# male who wears his collar when in the blind---Funny thing, his behavior is just wonderful when hunting with him--I use the signal button-a beep--when he forgets his manners---Don't seem to need to nip him any more--The old guy has been worked with on basics forever, but even now, the rush of being on the marsh seems to get to him-He does not even wear a collar at any other time, except for trips to the vet!.
I did most of my training via james lamb free--Occasionally go to it when little tweaks are needed---Will get the dvd into the player when i get some time-
Thanks for both, btw, you old welshman! hehehhhehe
Later, mate I love you

george w
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

http://george@runamuckdecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:51 pm

george w wrote:Ed, i have a 110# male who wears his collar when in the blind---Funny thing, his behavior is just wonderful when hunting with him--I use the signal button-a beep--when he forgets his manners---Don't seem to need to nip him any more--The old guy has been worked with on basics forever, but even now, the rush of being on the marsh seems to get to him-He does not even wear a collar at any other time, except for trips to the vet!.
I did most of my training via james lamb free--Occasionally go to it when little tweaks are needed---Will get the dvd into the player when i get some time-
Thanks for both, btw, you old welshman! hehehhhehehehehe
Later, mate I love you

Geoege

Its great to see you registed and and on site posting, now you old fart find sometime and get the DVD played. Laughing

Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Travis Bruce Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:58 am

Hey mates!

If a 5 year old dog is suddenly barking on the way out for a retreive, theres a reason. Noise when sent is one of the toughest things to deal with, because dogs typically don't know they do it. Noise while waiting to be sent or birds working is a different issue (an obedience issue), than noise on the retreive. Dogs have certain expectations of a situation, and if that situation changes, often they respond in ways it takes a minute to understand... look at the overall situation the dog has been placed in... has it changed? does the dog have steadyness issues, sometimes dogs work so hard to sit still, in a hunting siutation their marking can be effected or noise when sent can arise. could be as simple as maybe a couple hunts with a rope on the dog, make the stress of having to sit (and therefore amped up) go away. Is there suddenly another dog there, and your dog is having to share retreives? again, changes expectations. could the dog not see the birds fall from a previous set up, but can now? odds are something changed, and its changed the dogs expectations, ergo the new noise on a retreive from a 5 year old dog.

a collar is a way of training... its not a no no stick for a certain behavior. Well it can be used like that, but thats simply trashbreaking and not an effecitve use of the tool. However, pressure doesn't fix a pressure problem, and the dog is barking likely from pressure. Pressure isnt just physical, its mental as well (i.e. stress). Adding a collar correction to it will not likely have the desired effects... like I said, odds are the dog isnt even aware its doing it.

Several of my dogs squeel off the line. I tolarate no noise before sent, as well as no movement (a constant battle with hi powered dogs). But noise after sent is a different issue. The only way to truely effect it once it becomes a habit, is to make the dog aware of it, recall and resend... time consuming and not gonna make your hunting buddies happy. Deal with the change of expectations and see if it doesnt go away on its own. travis

Travis Bruce
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Jersey Charlie Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:05 pm

My lab barks going out to the bird, but, only on water. On land she is fine. My problem with it is the swamp water she takes in, it can't be healthy for her. We are going to work with her this spring in the water on a lead to correct. I'll keep you posted.

Jersey Charlie
Jersey Charlie
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Travis Bruce Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Good. remember about expectations. Once shes doing well, increase the excitment. ducks instead of bumpers, shots, another dog, etc... work on the right behavior, solidify it, then increase the excitment to proof. If you have a training group thats the best way to really amp up a dog and deal with issues in a more exicitng situation, you can still control. travis

Travis Bruce
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Jersey Charlie Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:08 pm

Thank you Travis. I didn't think of proofing with other dogs.
Charlie
Jersey Charlie
Jersey Charlie
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum