The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sap stains on decoy

4 posters

Go down

Sap stains on decoy Empty Sap stains on decoy

Post  farrukh ashraf Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Guys as the title states, i recently bought a pair and upon recieving i noticed considerabe amount of sap , the paint is still there but my question is, is that eventually eat up the paint and become worse with time??
Many thanks
Farrukh

farrukh ashraf
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Sap stains on decoy Empty Re: Sap stains on decoy

Post  Capt. Larry M Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:49 pm

Yes, it will likely get worse. It's caused by using wood that hasnt properly been dried or is still green. Green cedar can be be bought for $2 a board foot as kiln dried cedar will cost about $5 a board foot. I spend the extra money for the Kiln dried stuff, SAP will never be an issue. If they are expensive birds I would bring it to the carvers attention as he should make good
Capt. Larry M
Capt. Larry M
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

http://www.limitoutfitters.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Cedar is not a wood with much sap. I have never seen sap in any of the white cedar I carve. What kind of wood are they carved from? Pine?
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  farrukh ashraf Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:26 pm

Davey Welsh wrote:Cedar is not a wood with much sap. I have never seen sap in any of the white cedar I carve. What kind of wood are they carved from? Pine?
Its Jersey white cedar, i'll take pics tomorrow and post

farrukh ashraf
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. Larry M Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Davey Welsh wrote:Cedar is not a wood with much sap. I have never seen sap in any of the white cedar I carve. What kind of wood are they carved from? Pine?

Davey cedar has plenty of Sap, it's an evergreen, I was told by some of the top carvers in the country if you gonna spend your time, effort and your heart carving something dont skimp on the quality of the wood
Capt. Larry M
Capt. Larry M
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. Larry M Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:33 pm

farrukh ashraf wrote:
Its Jersey white cedar, i'll take pics tomorrow and post

Farrukh, I've tried purchasing Jersey White Cedar kiln dried, from my research and the knowledge of my friends, there is no one in NJ producing any Jersey White cedar Kiln dried in any quantity. All Kiln dried white cedar is comming from Maine currently and even that is becomming hard to find, I recently stocked up on it
Capt. Larry M
Capt. Larry M
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Sap stains on decoy Empty kiln dried

Post  Jim Donofrio Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:56 pm

Farrukh call me if you need some cedar
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

http://www.JOINRFA.ORG

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:08 am

I buy my cedar right from Steve Frazzie in Toms River. I let it air dry in my basement, never had a problem with sap or splitting. If the wood is so wet it has sap, it must have just been cut down. I've carved wet cedar before and didn't have sap issues.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Sap stains on decoy Empty Pictures posted please advice

Post  farrukh ashraf Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Ok here they are, are they keepers??? I plan to hunt them, i dont buy decorative decoys.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
By [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] at 2012-02-14

These were not purchased from the carver directly.

farrukh ashraf
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. Larry M Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:09 am

Farrukh those are great gunners but its hard to tell if the SAP problem will get worse you wont know until they sit in the house and fully dry out. They are nice, not crazy about the eye selection looks a little too lite IMO but they are very nice gunners. Unfortunately it looks like you paid alot of money and that shouldnt happen. Approach the guy that carved them he might repaint them no cost once the wood fully dries. Again my point for just a few $$ more you can buy better quality materials and avoid that.
Capt. Larry M
Capt. Larry M
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:27 am

Who is the carver Farrukh? The guy looks like he knows what he is doing, they are sharp Del. river style decoys. I agree with Larry, the eyes are the wrong color, but the guy can carve and paint a damn nice decoy. I would contact the carver, even if you didn't buy them directly from him. He will know what the cause is and how to fix it. Its ashame, he did a stellar job on the paint. Those are oils too.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  farrukh ashraf Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:54 am

Davey Welsh wrote:Who is the carver Farrukh? The guy looks like he knows what he is doing, they are sharp Del. river style decoys. I agree with Larry, the eyes are the wrong color, but the guy can carve and paint a damn nice decoy. I would contact the carver, even if you didn't buy them directly from him. He will know what the cause is and how to fix it. Its ashame, he did a stellar job on the paint. Those are oils too.

Carver is Rick Brown from NJ, he did an amazing job, its just that dang sap, what do you say, i can probably return these and get my money back, should i just do that?? Or its not that big of a deal?? Have no experience as hw the sap is going to effect the paint later.

farrukh ashraf
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. Larry M Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:01 am

farrukh ashraf wrote:
Davey Welsh wrote:Who is the carver Farrukh? The guy looks like he knows what he is doing, they are sharp Del. river style decoys. I agree with Larry, the eyes are the wrong color, but the guy can carve and paint a damn nice decoy. I would contact the carver, even if you didn't buy them directly from him. He will know what the cause is and how to fix it. Its ashame, he did a stellar job on the paint. Those are oils too.

Carver is Rick Brown from NJ, he did an amazing job, its just that dang sap, what do you say, i can probably return these and get my money back, should i just do that?? Or its not that big of a deal?? Have no experience as hw the sap is going to effect the paint later.

its hard to say Farrukh, did the wood dry out? will it get worse? How old are they and how long have they been indoors? Forced hot air heating is very good at drying things out. I would approach Rick and see if he is willing to repaint when they are dry. alittle sanding, priming and repainting they will look as good as the day he finished them.
Capt. Larry M
Capt. Larry M
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  farrukh ashraf Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:49 am

Capt. Larry M wrote:
farrukh ashraf wrote:

its hard to say Farrukh, did the wood dry out? will it get worse? How old are they and how long have they been indoors? Forced hot air heating is very good at drying things out. I would approach Rick and see if he is willing to repaint when they are dry. alittle sanding, priming and repainting they will look as good as the day he finished them.

They are signed as made in 2007, they should,ve been dry by now!!

farrukh ashraf
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:10 am

Show them to Rick Brown, he will let you know what to do about them. Rick is a good guy and a well known decoy carver too!
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  farrukh ashraf Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Davey Welsh wrote:Show them to Rick Brown, he will let you know what to do about them. Rick is a good guy and a well known decoy carver too!

Do you have any contact for him??

farrukh ashraf
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:36 pm

farrukh ashraf wrote:
Davey Welsh wrote:Show them to Rick Brown, he will let you know what to do about them. Rick is a good guy and a well known decoy carver too!

Do you have any contact for him??

I don't, but one of my good friends knows Rick very well. In fact my buddy's step father used to carve decoys with Rick in the barnegat bay decoy company. I can get you his info and I'll send it to you in a PM. Wink
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down