The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

good first carving book

3 posters

Go down

good first carving book Empty good first carving book

Post  Chris S. Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:01 pm

In the next week or so I am going to strat carving cedar decoys with the help of Bill Simonsen. I am gonna use his pattern for my first few. The first couple will just be just basic gunning black ducks. As I carve more I want to find patterns I like or change his pattern more to my own style or a style I like.

What is a good first carver book that has patterns and a lot of pictures? I like pictures! Thanks for the help.
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

good first carving book Empty Re: good first carving book

Post  george w Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:51 am

After you acclimate to what goes on with hacking out blocks, just use the specimen as your reference and make your own patterns--Most pattern books are for decorous things!!
Be mindful, you only need half a pattern for the body, and a side view for the head.
Do you want to make lifesize, oversize?

george w
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

http://george@runamuckdecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris S. Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:46 am

george w wrote:After you acclimate to what goes on with hacking out blocks, just use the specimen as your reference and make your own patterns--Most pattern books are for decorous things!!
Be mindful, you only need half a pattern for the body, and a side view for the head.
Do you want to make lifesize, oversize?

Not sure on life size or oversize. The pattern I am gonna start with is 6 wide 4 high and 15long. I think I will see how they look and go from there I think I Will go to 7 inches wide but not sure about the others. I guess that's as good a place to start as any. I may make it rounder in places but I also like the look of the side pockets like davey does. Not sure if I answered your question but it will be my first time carving
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Marsh Rat Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:39 pm

I was just looking at the bookcase, I had a few im pretty sure i got years ago at the tuckerton show. One is "DecoysThe art of the wooden bird" By Richard LeMaster it has a ton of good info, patterns, paint schemes, techniques etc. Another is "How to make working decoys" By George Ross Star Jr MD. same thing, but seems a little more backdated. paging through them I remember using them as guides when I started. Im sure either should be available on amazon or some similar site. cheers and good luck
Marsh Rat
Marsh Rat
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down