The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snow storm yesterday brought some birds in

3 posters

Go down

Snow storm yesterday brought some birds in Empty Snow storm yesterday brought some birds in

Post  Capt. John Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:57 am

We were out Saturday morning and had a nice day.
It was blowin and snowin with birds dropping in and putting on a good show. We watched them for some time. While I was sitting in my sneak boat cooking breakfast I looked over and see Dom with Mocha in the other boat. Not looking as warm and dry as I was. Just staring at me and the frying pan waiting for a hot meal.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I only have phone pictures because I did not want to take the good camera out of the bag. So these will have to do.
They looked pathetic sitting there waiting for something to eat.
Nothing like a nice hot breakfast when your hunkered down.
So after breakfast we watched the birds a little while longer.
It could see it was driving Mocha crazy just watching the birds in the spread. She is pretty good about staying calm when birds are in the decoys. But when we just sit there for a long time watching them she starts to whine a bit. It was a good exercise in self control for both of us. So after Mocha proved she could hold out I took this pair as they dropped in.

So I guess that was the big snow storm or one and only snow storm of the 2011 / 2012 duck season so far.
Less than a week left of regular duck season here so good luck to anyone finishing out their season.

Capt. John
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Snow storm yesterday brought some birds in Empty Re: Snow storm yesterday brought some birds in

Post  Davey Welsh Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:51 pm

Nice pics and story John! Breakfast on the marsh...sounds good!
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Snow storm yesterday brought some birds in Empty Re: Snow storm yesterday brought some birds in

Post  Capt. John Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Davey Welsh wrote:Nice pics and story John! Breakfast on the marsh...sounds good!

Davey, It wouldn,t be duck hunting with out breakfast on the marsh.
My wife thinks we just go just to eat breakfast.
The last thing I do before I go to bed the night before is chop up everything and load it into the portable fridge (otherwise known as the large tupperware bowl).
Breakfast is becoming a tradition. I have clients that are also bringing their own food supplies to cook because they know all my boats have a galley and heat (otherwise known as the one burner Coleman stove)
When things get slow, firing up the stove and cooking is a great way to get the birds to come in.
It never fails. Just before the eggs are done a flock of birds will drop from the sky just so you have to stop cooking and shoot.
We always joke about it but as soon as I start cracking eggs the birds start to getting vocal. It's like there saying, "there makin eggs"
Come on out and join us one day.

Capt. John
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Stevey Welsh Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:46 pm

The picture of dom and mocha is priceless lol..nice to see you guys just enjoying being out there.
Stevey Welsh
Stevey Welsh
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down