The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog First Aid

4 posters

Go down

Dog First Aid Empty Dog First Aid

Post  Russell Vrhovac Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:57 am

Closing out the season, it looks like Sam sheered off a portion the face of one of her pads on her back leg. I wasn't hurting her in the field and I treated it with bonaseptic. Taking a look at it at home I re-treated it with more bonaseptic and neosporin as well as a bandage to keep the bacteria out and the neosporin in. She is favoring it and I am sure it is pretty tender. Anyone else had an injury like this (I am sure someone has). Should I keep it bandaged with neosporin or keep it disinfected and let it air dry? She actually perfers not having the bandage and air drying. Suggestions anyone> I considered using boots on her for some of the places we hunt but she freaked when I put them on her the first time. It may be time to take another look at boots for her.
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Dog First Aid Empty Re: Dog First Aid

Post  dan s Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:26 pm

If its "sheered" or shaved off as you say, you are better off keeping it clean, dry and covered w/ neosporin and keeping her off it as much as possible. Mine has had numeous cut pads but always a "cut" that could heal with some EMT gel and rest.

If the pad is open and raw, she just needs to keep off it for 5-7 days and should be good to go. If she gets ancy, give her some benadryl to keep her drousy so she sleeps while she heals.

Last edited by dan s on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

dan s
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Dog First Aid Empty Thanks fot the tip!

Post  Russell Vrhovac Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:27 pm

Dan,

Yeah, she is starting to heal up nicely now. She got the injury Saturday and Sunday she was really gimping around the house. She bled all over the boat. I wasn't sure at first where it was coming from. Gave me a pretty good scare.I kept it dry and covered with neosporin and bandaid and wrapped up with athletic tape so she couldn't lick all the medicine off. That seemed to help a lot but it was still pretty moist and tender. I keep the "tuff foot" on it now and it has dried and started to heal better. Thanks for the suggestions.

dan s wrote:If its "sheered" or shaved off as you say, you are better off keeping it clean, dry and covered w/ neosporin and keeping her off it as much as possible. Mine has had numeous cut pads but always a "cut" that could heal with some EMT gel and rest.

If the pad is open and raw, she just needs to keep off it for 5-7 days and should be good to go. If she gets ancy, give her some benadryl to keep her drousy so she sleeps while she heals.
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  dan s Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:42 pm

Good luck with her!

dan s
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  k Pontari Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:22 pm

my chessy had a cut pad this year from a mussell or clam I cleaned it up with Peroxide and neosporin and put liquid bandage on it. That stuff works great. Good to keep this stuff in the boat for emergency.

k Pontari
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Dog First Aid Empty Liquid Bandage

Post  Russell Vrhovac Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:10 pm

I was thinking about trying that stuff or "New Skin". It seem like it would work well for that sort of injury.

k Pontari wrote:my chessy had a cut pad this year from a mussell or clam I cleaned it up with Peroxide and neosporin and put liquid bandage on it. That stuff works great. Good to keep this stuff in the boat for emergency.
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:47 pm

Russell V wrote:Closing out the season, it looks like Sam sheered off a portion the face of one of her pads on her back leg. I wasn't hurting her in the field and I treated it with bonaseptic. Taking a look at it at home I re-treated it with more bonaseptic and neosporin as well as a bandage to keep the bacteria out and the neosporin in. She is favoring it and I am sure it is pretty tender. Anyone else had an injury like this (I am sure someone has). Should I keep it bandaged with neosporin or keep it disinfected and let it air dry? She actually perfers not having the bandage and air drying. Suggestions anyone> I considered using boots on her for some of the places we hunt but she freaked when I put them on her the first time. It may be time to take another look at boots for her.

Russell
my advise would be get your dog to a vet and dont try working the dog, you could only make it worse for her and there is nothing worse than having a lame dog

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Dog First Aid Empty Thanks

Post  Russell Vrhovac Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Eddie,

Thanks for the reply. She is actually doing great now. It has healed/healing over. I'm just keeping it dry and putting neosporin on it and disinfecting it when she gets it wet from going in the back yard. She is not doing any training now and will have a couple of weeks off before we try any.

Eddie Kershaw wrote:
Russell V wrote:Closing out the season, it looks like Sam sheered off a portion the face of one of her pads on her back leg. I wasn't hurting her in the field and I treated it with bonaseptic. Taking a look at it at home I re-treated it with more bonaseptic and neosporin as well as a bandage to keep the bacteria out and the neosporin in. She is favoring it and I am sure it is pretty tender. Anyone else had an injury like this (I am sure someone has). Should I keep it bandaged with neosporin or keep it disinfected and let it air dry? She actually perfers not having the bandage and air drying. Suggestions anyone> I considered using boots on her for some of the places we hunt but she freaked when I put them on her the first time. It may be time to take another look at boots for her.

Russell
my advise would be get your dog to a vet and dont try working the dog, you could only make it worse for her and there is nothing worse than having a lame dog
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:16 pm

Russell
Im glad to hear that, just go lighly with her until its all healed up. Wink

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Dog First Aid Empty Healing well.

Post  Russell Vrhovac Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Eddie,

She is on light duty for the next week too. Thanks to you and the rest of the members on the Duck Lodge. What a great resource for all things "Duck". Have a great weekend.

Russell

Eddie Kershaw wrote:Russell
Im glad to hear that, just go lighly with her until its all healed up. Wink
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down