The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

February Workbench

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

February Workbench - Page 3 Empty Re: February Workbench

Post  Eddie Kershaw Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:01 am

Davey Welsh wrote:Like that Broadie Larry!

I've been busy as shit at work so I haven't made much progress with my workbench. Today I finished burning the bills and got the eyes set. The bird on the right is already sealed and ready for primer, but I may shorten the bill. For some reason it looks too long for a mallard lol! Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the time to get the other 3 finished and sealed. So far I like this rig. Nice and thick tails and wooden dowels in the heads, they should be very durable.

February Workbench - Page 3 419740_118648688264770_105842429545396_70069_586031732_n

Davey
The bill on a mallard can range anywhere between 2 1/4 " to 2 1/2" so I would check its length before I decided to cut it down mate.

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  george w Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:23 am

That is a simple matter of measuring, and creating a ratio--If you have a specimen, measure the length of bill and compare to length of head, then do the same with the deke--Chances are, though the distance will changs, the ratio will not--If the bill is for example, 3/4 the length of the head, then the deke bill will be the same, also. Exclamation Wink

george w
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

http://george@runamuckdecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:02 pm

I usually leave my bills long when I cut the head on the bandsaw, that way I have extra wood on his nose in case I make a boo-boo. I think in this case I just forgot to shorten the bill up. I'll fix him today.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum: