The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Had a great day

2 posters

Go down

Had a great day Empty Had a great day

Post  Ray_J Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:08 am

I hand delivered a couple decoys to an older gentleman in NH today. Thankfully he invited me in to his house to show me his collection of decoys and waterfowl art. I was in awe with his collection of Hank Walker originals, Crowell decoys, HG Smith Decoys, Madison Mitchell’s etc… Each Decoy or painting had its own story and to each piece of art, he had a personal connection. His house was a virtual Waterfowler’s museum.

I can’t tell you how cool it was to hear him relive the stories of guiding hunts on Woodbridge Island and all along the Massachusetts North Shore.
I could have talked with him all day about the old days with flock after flock of Bluebill and Canvasback crashing the decoys. I was quite frankly embarrassed (yet honored) that he wanted a pair of my Old Squaw Decoys for his collection.

Although It was a great visit, I left the house after an hour or so feeling somewhat saddened. He will bring to his grave so much history and knowledge that our children will probably never know. I hope I have another opportunity to visit soon.
Ray_J
Ray_J
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Had a great day Empty Re: Had a great day

Post  Davey Welsh Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:36 am

Great story Ray. Didn't know you carved decoys. Would love to see some of them!

And I love decoy history. Its very neat.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down