The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTB duck boat

5 posters

Go down

WTB duck boat Empty WTB duck boat

Post  mtessar Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:53 pm

me, my brother, and my dad are looking for a duck boat and were either looking for 1 that could fit all of us or 3 individual boats. not looking to spend alot on them. please let me know if you have or know someone that is selling a boat.

Thanks,
Matt
mtessar
mtessar
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

WTB duck boat Empty Re: WTB duck boat

Post  Capt. John Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:18 pm

mtessar wrote:me, my brother, and my dad are looking for a duck boat and were either looking for 1 that could fit all of us or 3 individual boats. not looking to spend alot on them. please let me know if you have or know someone that is selling a boat.

Thanks,
Matt

What do you consider alot?
A boat that will hunt 3 guys , dog and gear will more than likely not be able to go where 3 smaller boats can go.
I would suggest coming up with a game plan as to how and where you plan to hunt them. Then buy the boat(s) to match your hunting situation.
There is no one boat that can do it all. You may want to consider getting individual boats of various sizes that way you have a nice fleet for most hunting situations. In addition, having more than one boat in your group when your out hunting is another big benifit for both safety and being able to set up so someone can get the shot that way your not on top of one and other.
Just my opinion.

Capt. John
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris S. Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:53 pm

I would go with 3 sneakboxes you can get in places with them like Capt. John said. Plus if only one of you wanna go then you don't have to take a big boat i would say you can get a good sneakbox for roughly around $1000 to $1500 each. I know someone who has some sneakboxes for sale if you are interested 1 is ready and the other 2 are being worked on and almost ready. and each will be in that price range
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:24 pm

mtessar wrote:me, my brother, and my dad are looking for a duck boat and were either looking for 1 that could fit all of us or 3 individual boats. not looking to spend alot on them. please let me know if you have or know someone that is selling a boat.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt, your best bet for gunning the 3 of you together is an aluminum boat. To buy 3 separate sneak boxes with 3 motors etc. is going to cost you some money dude. Even if you go as cheap as you can, you're looking at $7,000-9,000 easy.

You can buy an aluminum boat and buy or build a blind or you can find a 16' Garvey and do the same. My Dad has his aluminum boat for sale with a Mercury 25 4-stroke motor for $4,000, boat motor trailer. http://www.ducklodge.net/t212-16-aluminum-jon-boat

Its ready to go, all you need to do is buy an Avery quickset blind or build one yourself. That is route I would go honestly. You can comfortably hunt 3 guys and even a dog if you wanted. The flat bottom aluminum boat drafts less than my sneakbox, so believe me, you can get this boat in the same places I get my Estuary. You'll just have to make sure you don't get high and dry, because then you'll be waiting for water to come back up.

Last edited by Davey Welsh on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mtessar Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:25 pm

Chris S. wrote:I would go with 3 sneakboxes you can get in places with them like Capt. John said. Plus if only one of you wanna go then you don't have to take a big boat i would say you can get a good sneakbox for roughly around $1000 to $1500 each. I know someone who has some sneakboxes for sale if you are interested 1 is ready and the other 2 are being worked on and almost ready. and each will be in that price range

that would be awesome. could you send me his number? thanks
mtessar
mtessar
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  mtessar Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:27 pm

Davey Welsh wrote:

Thanks,
Matt

Matt, your best bet for gunning the 3 of you together is an aluminum boat. To buy 3 separate sneak boxes with 3 motors etc. is going to cost you some money dude. Even if you go as cheap as you can, you're looking at $7,000-9,000 easy.

You can buy an aluminum boat and buy or build a blind or you can find a 16' Garvey and do the same. My Dad has his aluminum boat for sale with a Mercury 25 4-stroke motor for $4,000, boat motor trailer. http://www.ducklodge.net/t212-16-aluminum-jon-boat

Its ready to go, all you need to do is buy an Avery quickset blind or build one yourself. That is route I would go honestly. You can comfortably hunt 3 guys and even a dog if you wanted.

the thing is is that we hunt salt water and aluminum and salt water dont mix and it will cause us problems with the rusting
mtessar
mtessar
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:33 pm

mtessar wrote:

the thing is is that we hunt salt water and aluminum and salt water dont mix and it will cause us problems with the rusting

Thats not true. Salt water will not harm boats that are built from aluminum. If the boat is kept in the water all year, it needs zinc blocks attached to the transom. If it is trailered and not stored in the water, than you don't need to do anything. I was in the Coast Guard and our 47' Motor Life boat is completely constructed of aluminum and only leaves the water once a year for a yard period.

This john boat my Dad has is probably 16 years old and does not have a spec of rust on her.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike B Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:44 pm

You might think that I would be pretty cool for each of you to have your own boat but one boat can be time consuming to make sure that it is in tip top shape any having 3 would be a pain in the ass. Take a look at Davey's Jon that he is selling for his Dad. There is a lot of wisdom on this site so trust me and learn from the been there- done that wisdom that we can offer.

Not sure who "scared" you about aluminum but that is what most boats are made out of and they handle salt just fine
Mike B
Mike B
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  mtessar Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:05 am

davey,
Ill tell my dad to give you a call. we were looking for 3 sneakboxes but if we found a 3 seater it would be good bot we were looking to pay hopefullt under 1000 for each so we wouldnt spend to much. 4000 sounds like a little too much but ill have him call you. thanks

Mike,
my dad used to duck hunt and we are getting back into it but he has had a boat all his life and was always on the water. he told me and my brother that salt rusts aluminum. we have looked at other boats that have rusted holes in them. they were all older so i dont know how the newer boats hold up.
mtessar
mtessar
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:32 am

You can find cheap sneakboxes for $1,000 but how are you going to power them?

3 sneakboxes + 3 trailers + 3 motors +3 boat registrations + 3 trailer registrations = a hell of alot more than 1 boat! LOL!

Me and my Dad and brother all hunt together. When we were younger, my Dad used the aluminum boat to take us all hunting. We would bring layout blinds or pond boxes and we would stash the boat up a creek and then all hunt from the layouts. Once I got older and started driving, I bought my first sneakbox so that I could go hunt by myself. Eventually all 3 of us got sneakboxes and now we each have our own rig and our own setup...and our own houses! LOL!

It all depends on what you guys want to spend and what type of hunting you want to do. If you're always going to hunt together, it makes no sense to buy 3 separate boats. If you decide it would be better to buy one boat for the 3 of you, but you'd rather not aluminum, look for a cedar Garvey. I love Garvey's, they are great bay boats. More expensive than an aluminum boat. The TDB is a great boat too.

As far as rust on aluminum boats, you may have seen some aluminum V bottom boats where people built wooden floors in them and what not. This is always stupid, because the floor traps water that never goes away. Additionally, aluminum will not rust in salt water unless the boat has steel or stainless steel in contact with the aluminum. So if you're coming across aluminum boats with rust, its because the owners didn't know jack about boats. This jon boat my Dad has doesn't have a speck of rust, we've always taken care of it.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down