The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

April Workbench

+2
Davey Welsh
Capt. Larry M
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

April Workbench - Page 2 Empty Re: April Workbench

Post  Scott Salzer Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:43 am

Ok, NOW I totally get it and it makes perfect sense! I was not trying to carve my eye channel "in" like you describe. I think I was trying to carve 2 rounded off squares stacked on top of each other instead. This helps immensely. As always Davey, thanks a million.

Scott Salzer
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:17 am

Good, I'm glad that helps. I'm a pilot, so maybe I think too technical lol! Once you learn how to round, then it becomes easier and you don't have to think about it much. Once that happens, you'll start to get your head shape with ease and you'll develop a preference for how you like your heads to look. I like to exaggerate the cheeks on my decoys...its just my style.

Everybody likes to give carving advice to new carvers, and they all say the same thing, make it round. But half of these guys who you've never heard of or rarely see decoys from, don't know what round is. It took me a long time and then I finaly started seeing the rounding process better. It all takes time. I rarely give carving advice because I am such a harsh critic of my own work. But you're getting lucky Scott. Lol!

Last edited by Davey Welsh on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Salzer Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:27 am

It wasn't too technical at all. My problem was that I was trying to envision your explanation on the side view of a head, not the front.

Scott Salzer
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

April Workbench - Page 2 Empty Buffie's done....except for a keel

Post  Scott Salzer Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Here he is. I'm happy with it, for my first paint job.
[img]April Workbench - Page 2 DSC_6284[/img]
This however, I hate. I painted this mallard head according to the Duck Blind tutorial. I base coated black, dry brushed medium grey and used pthalo green yellow shade over the top. It looks hideous to me. I ended up re-base coating with light grey. I'm not sure what to try from there, maybe permanent green light?
[img]April Workbench - Page 2 DSC_6288[/img]

Scott Salzer
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Salzer Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Scott, check your screen resolution in internet explorer. There should be a magnifying glass in the lower right corner, make sure it says 100%.
I can't figure this out Davey, the RT. side of my pictures are still cut off.

Scott Salzer
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  george w Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:56 pm

acrylic or oil?
I base everything i do with mars black-All paint above that layer needs some adjustment--normally, whites may take a second application, due to their relative transluscency, but, that gives me a good next base--Regarding mallard heads,,,after base

thalo green, yelllow shade, a bit of mars black--when tacky, stipple in cadmium yellow medium, which sets off the cheeks.
You can use a lot fewer small lines to delineate the side from scaps on the buffie just deal with the decoy--look at itfrom thirty feet and see what is or isn't needed.

george w
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

http://george@runamuckdecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. Larry M Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Scott, I think if you dry brushed some black on the cown and dry brushed some ultra marine blue into the back of the head you would be much happier with it also I think you need a dryer brush when you applied the gray and green try perfecting your dry brushing technique on a paper towel
Capt. Larry M
Capt. Larry M
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

http://www.limitoutfitters.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Salzer Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Ok, so I scrapped the first attempt at the head. Re-base coated w/medium gray. Then I used permanent green light/bone black on the whole head. Then I added more bone black and air brushed in "low lights". I also hit the crown w/ some ultra marine blue. I like it much better. I don't think I'm ready for the dry brush technique yet, I need to practice it a bit more.
[img]April Workbench - Page 2 DSC_6296[/img]

This is the finished product. Do I need to do anything else to it other than a keel?
[img]April Workbench - Page 2 DSC_6299[/img]

Scott Salzer
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Looking real good Scott. Don't ask me for advice anymore. My first decoys looked like shit compared to that. Laughing
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Salzer Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:16 pm

What can I say? I have an awesome teacher!

Scott Salzer
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:25 pm

I think you already know where to improve and your first two birds are just great. They will make excellent gunners for you. My only suggestion would be to maybe go a bit warmer on the side pockets and back of your mallard. Could just be lighting or my monitor, the gray you have looks pretty cool (blue). Try mixing Burnt Umber and Ultramarine blue to get a black and then adding white and a touch of Raw Umber to get a warm gray. But keel that sucker, put him on the shelf and go make some more. cheers
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Salzer Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:38 pm

I knew that color wasn't right from the get go. I wasn't sure how to mix the right color though. I will try how you said for the next one. BTW, what color should I prime a hen mallard with?

Scott Salzer
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  george w Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:55 pm

in general, two parts burnt umbe to one part ultramarine blue---The back and flanks are a bit darker than the tertials and sides--for both grays, do titanium white, a bit of raw umber, then the blackduck black--just add a bit more to darken! Very Happy

george w
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:06 pm

** I should also note Scott that George W has helped me a lot with getting colors right. He has a very generous paint schedule he put together that I've played around with a lot. When it comes to painting, I don't offer much help...because I don't consider myself very good with that aspect. Best thing to do is experiment. George's paint schedule really helped me get in the ballpark with my colors. From there I learned a few additional things, like getting tints and shades using analogous and complimentary colors rather than black and white. Stuff like that I've played with. I also took the Burnt umber/ultramarine blue +titanium white gray and I've found adding raw umber gives it a nice warm tone. Too much ultramarine blue turns the mix cool again, as I've found.

As far as hen mallard base, well have fun and goodluck. I have yet to finish painting a hen that I was actually happy with, they all come out like balls. But from what I know, base your decoy in a mix of Burnt Umber, Raw Umber, Raw Sienna and Titanium white. You vary the amounts of these colors base on how dark you want the inside of your feathers. Hens vary a LOT from one bird to the next. I basically just mix a color I like then paint it like shit and call it a day. Yet dumb Drakes still come land next to them. Shocked Laughing
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Salzer Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:47 pm

I basically just mix a color I like then paint it like shit and call it a day.
LOL.....I guess I'll try to figure out something real basic for now. I have a Gene Marshall hen I will use as a guide and one of LeMaster's books that should help with color mixing.

Scott Salzer
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  george w Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:36 am

Scott, use a specimen, not another decoy for reference--Keep in mind, a decoy is just someone's impression of what a particular duck looks like TO HIM. Have also found that a bit of titan buff is also good in the mix-it does not lighten as much as plain white, but right now, i use some of both-if you want the mallard info, i will e mail it to you, if i have not already done so--old and forgetful!!

george w
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Salzer Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:46 am

George - You already emailed me a copy of your paint schedule. Thank you, it was very helpful.

Scott Salzer
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  george w Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:09 am

time for me to check in at the old folks home!!! Very Happy

george w
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down