The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JUNE WORKBENCH

+3
Davey Welsh
DonMintz
Chris S.
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

JUNE WORKBENCH Empty JUNE WORKBENCH

Post  Chris S. Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:19 am

Guess I will start this one off. I have been carving decoys out of the pink insulation foam. I have been messing around with patterns and I got the buffy patterns the way I like. I just finished this buffy with burlap and mastic I will apoxie sculpt the bill in a few days. I need work on the head and cheeks but for my 1st ever decoy I am happy with it. I also have a brant in the works. Thanks for looking>

JUNE WORKBENCH 02210
JUNE WORKBENCH 02010
JUNE WORKBENCH 02110
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

JUNE WORKBENCH Empty Re: JUNE WORKBENCH

Post  DonMintz Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:12 am

make sure you carve the bill down to allow for the apoxy sculpt, that will keep it from being way too big. I can't really tell from the photos, but if you use a hardboard cutout of the head drawn from a photo of a real duck it will give you some stability in the bill and always get an accurate profile. The profile looks good for a buffie, but you'll need to trim the bill down. You can do it even after burlapping which is how I usually do it, but you can also carve it down pretty small with the hardboard core.

JUNE WORKBENCH Bills

DonMintz
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:37 am

Nice Chris! Don Mintz is the master of foamers, lucky to have him here!
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris S. Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:02 pm

DonMintz wrote:make sure you carve the bill down to allow for the apoxy sculpt, that will keep it from being way too big. I can't really tell from the photos, but if you use a hardboard cutout of the head drawn from a photo of a real duck it will give you some stability in the bill and always get an accurate profile. The profile looks good for a buffie, but you'll need to trim the bill down. You can do it even after burlapping which is how I usually do it, but you can also carve it down pretty small with the hardboard core.

JUNE WORKBENCH Bills

Thanks Don that pic didn't have the hard board in the head but I do put in in there. At 1st I didn't like the body look but but burlaped anyway for practice and like the way it looks. My epoxy sculpt will be here Monday or tue so I will cut the bill down and put it on.

Don you opened a can of worms now. I am gonna be picking your brain. Haha
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

JUNE WORKBENCH Empty Mallard/Black Rig by George Williams

Post  Ed Lewandowski Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:21 pm

While most of us struggle to find time/energy to knock out a couple of dekes, George continues to produce great gunning rigs with regularity (the old fart is retired, so what else is he s'posed to do???)! He asked me to post a photo of a spread of mallards and blacks that he just finished up today.

BTW... George reports that his wife had a great week of treatment at Hahnemann in Philly and she seems to be doing well!

JUNE WORKBENCH Mallar12
Ed Lewandowski
Ed Lewandowski
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Great looking rig George. I wish I could turn out decoys that fast! I finished carving a rig of 6 mallards...working on black ducks now. No painting though, just carving. Saving the paint for the mid summer.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  george w Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:00 pm

Now, a redhead has its base coat. a whistler has the bottom gacced, and I just finished repainting a mallard for one of my customers-That is it for today!
Stay busy, you all, and thanks, Ed. Next time you drop over, perhaps i can get a posting pics tutorial! Wink

george w
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

http://george@runamuckdecoys.com

Back to top Go down

JUNE WORKBENCH Empty Foam Bufflebutts

Post  Russell Vrhovac Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:00 pm

Chris,

I hadn't seen your foam buffie but it looks great. That looks like a great way, and a little more affordable, for me to give carving a try. I would like to make some scoters for a long line rig. Thanks for the pics!

Russell

Chris S. wrote:Guess I will start this one off. I have been carving decoys out of the pink insulation foam. I have been messing around with patterns and I got the buffy patterns the way I like. I just finished this buffy with burlap and mastic I will apoxie sculpt the bill in a few days. I need work on the head and cheeks but for my 1st ever decoy I am happy with it. I also have a brant in the works. Thanks for looking>

JUNE WORKBENCH 02210
JUNE WORKBENCH 02010
JUNE WORKBENCH 02110
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris S. Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Russell,
That is the main reason I started carving with foam because it is a lot cheaper to do. Also it does not cost a lot to get started. I also made a hot wire foam cutter. It's kinda like a band saw but for foam the wire gets hot and cuts out the pattern just like you would do with wood. If this is something that you would like to start doing check out workingdecoys.net that is where i got the info to get started.
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:35 am

Foamers are the way to go for the guy that just wants to build his own decoy rig. The time and money I put into cedar decoys is crazy, but I loving carving cedar. I enjoy the tradition behind it.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Vrhovac Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

Davey,
Just a suggestion for the website, we need a countdown clock till the next duck season. I need more torture.
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris S. Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:01 pm

Russell Vrhovac wrote:Thanks for the input gentlemen.

Davey,
Just a suggestion for the website, we need a countdown clock till the next duck season. I need more torture.
I got this one its 143 days 15hours 13min and 4sec till nj coastal zone opens not that I am counting or anything
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  DonMintz Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:15 pm

here's a look at some of the apoxy work you can do on your foamer, not only the bill, but the wingtips and tail are good areas to reinforce to prevent wear.

JUNE WORKBENCH ScoterapoxieJUNE WORKBENCH ScoterbillJUNE WORKBENCH ScoterB

I'm starting a set of layout scoters like these this week.
JUNE WORKBENCH Scoterss

DonMintz
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:38 pm

That is killer Don!

And Russ, I'll see if I can get a timer.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

JUNE WORKBENCH Empty Cork

Post  Tom Yocum Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:31 pm

A black, a can and woodies on my bench. Have the drake woodies nearly done with painting.

JUNE WORKBENCH 2012-05-21_20-55-32_868

Tom Yocum
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  george w Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:41 pm

rester in the front is a really nice looking piece! post up when you get them painted! Wink

george w
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

JUNE WORKBENCH Empty Drakes painted

Post  Tom Yocum Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Got the drakes painted. Tried to keep it simple.

JUNE WORKBENCH 2012-06-19_19-35-40_797

Tom Yocum
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  george w Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:11 am

That is a nice, simple, fairly animated group of woodies--Not difficult to repaint, either!! next set, use yellow ochre rather than cad yellow for the first edge of the bill. While the contrast is greater with the brighter, it may be off for the bill, however, you get them out in a nice spot, the livers will NOT care. Now, get those ladies done.

george w
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:25 am

Fantastic looking woodies!! Great job Tom!
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

JUNE WORKBENCH Empty Thanks

Post  Tom Yocum Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:56 am

Thanks Davey and George. I'll check that bill color closer, I have a frozen bird I can check for reference. I plan to do a pair of full bodies woodies in the near future.

Tom Yocum
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:19 pm

Tom Yocum wrote:Thanks Davey and George. I'll check that bill color closer, I have a frozen bird I can check for reference. I plan to do a pair of full bodies woodies in the near future.

Unfortunately, frozen birds aren't good reference for bill color (or feet, if you're a taxidermist). They start losing their bill color a few days after the bird is harvested. From your photo, I don't see anything wrong with the bill color. Look like wood ducks to me!
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  george w Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Tom, the best thing about a frozen specimen is that it keeps its color, well, not the bill, and once the bird dies, the color of the bill diminishes quite rapidly-Trust me on that color, i have a tendancy to observe little things once the dog has brought it to hand. Yeah, there are vriations also! Very Happy
As stated, if the woodies notice that, it is going to be too late for them to realize it!! Wink

george w
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

JUNE WORKBENCH Empty got him painted

Post  Chris S. Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:54 am

This is my first decoy ever. I made it from the pink insulation foam then burlapped then I did a restle coat with Titebond III and saw dust. I then let it dry for a week. I primed with Kilz and painted with flat exterior house paint. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. I think for a gunning decoy I won't have any problems getting them to decoy to these. I need to do the eyes and keel. I think when I add about 8 more of these little guys i will have some good buffy action this season. Looking it over again I see that i did the side pocket lines upside down. I am not worried about this but I will do the next ones the right way. For a basic gunning decoy what do you guys think.

JUNE WORKBENCH 01611

JUNE WORKBENCH 01912
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Nice Buffy Chris. Get a nice rig of those guys and you'll be pulling them in across the bay!
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

JUNE WORKBENCH Empty Hens Done

Post  Tom Yocum Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:59 pm

Got the hens done...

JUNE WORKBENCH 2012-06-30_21-25-10_966

Tom Yocum
FNG