The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIO AMMO

+4
David "swampy" L
Charlie D
Davey Welsh
Jim Donofrio
8 posters

Go down

RIO AMMO Empty RIO AMMO

Post  Jim Donofrio Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Has anyone tried RIO AMMO Steel shot? Looks like its put together nicely and they have a variety of shot sizes in 2 3/4 3 inch 3 1/2
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

http://www.JOINRFA.ORG

Back to top Go down

RIO AMMO Empty Re: RIO AMMO

Post  Davey Welsh Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:11 pm

You buy any of this yet Jim? Like to know how this stuff is and whether or not is shoots clean. Thats one reason I have a hard time switching from the Winchester Xperts...they shoot clean.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

RIO AMMO Empty RIO

Post  Jim Donofrio Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:28 pm

Dave hear all good things I want to buy a case but still have 3 cases left of other ammo due to lack of shots at decoying birds. I probably will get a case and check it out stuff looks real good
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie D Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:37 am

Whats it cost?

Charlie D
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

RIO AMMO Empty very reasonable

Post  Jim Donofrio Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:58 am

about 10 a box for 25
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

RIO AMMO Empty RIO

Post  Jim Donofrio Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:16 pm

Charlie Abble Ammo just bought a case 82.00
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  David "swampy" L Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:00 am

I shot a box of these up on lake ontario this year(3" 1 1/8oz #4)......I'd compare it to Kent, shoots well out of my SBE(ask the ringbills) But is dirty like the kent ammo, Not as dirty,but dirty nonetheless

Loving my Hevi-metal more bang for your buck!

David "swampy" L

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:25 am

David "swampy" Lo Buono wrote:I shot a box of these up on lake ontario this year(3" 1 1/8oz #4)......I'd compare it to Kent, shoots well out of my SBE(ask the ringbills) But is dirty like the kent ammo, Not as dirty,but dirty nonetheless

Loving my Hevi-metal more bang for your buck!

Hevi-metal is expensive though. Winchester Xpert steel is what I've used for years and I'm amazed at the performance and how clean it shoots for $12 a box. These shot companies are ripping us off with these $20 a box shells. I just shot a drake mallard at 50 yards yesterday and folded him up clean. 3" #4 shot with a patternmaster extended range choke. I'm not normally one for "long" shots, but the way this seasons been, if I can kill them I will.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie D Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:45 am

I shoot Xperts too.. Man I just hate spending $1 a shell on Hevi-metal, let alone the good stuff at $3 a pop affraid If you hit em in the head, they fall,,,xperts, #6 and #4 shot

Charlie D
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig F Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:20 am

I've been shooting Super X 3in #2 for as long as I can remember, just bought a four pack of Xpert and it seems to be doing the job.

I'd say 90% of my shooting is inside of 25 yards though. My dad has been shooting the hevi-metal and that gets the job done as well.
Craig F
Craig F
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Stupp Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:43 am

I have Experts, they've been set aside strictly for teal. For other ducks, I've had to many cripples and way to many shots were feathers are knockd off to only watch the duck fly away. All my shots are 40 yards and under. Yes I've tried taking a whack at some snows a little high, but for Canadas and ducks it's over the decoys.

I started shooting Black Cloud the year they came out. I like the way they perform and they aren't as pricey as a lot of high end loads. I normally catch a sale at Cabela's and get them for $185 a case. That's $0.74 a shell. I have tried other loads and keep finding myself comparing them to the Black Clouds. So that's what I'm staying with.

I look at it like this. I spend way to much time, energy, and money on boats, motors, gas, decoys, gear, scouting to not KILL ducks. You can kill ducks with your Grand-Pop's $1 hardware store gun or the latest and greatest high end auto loaders. It's all about skill and what comes out the muzzle. And for me that won't be "cheap" shells. If I shoot half a case of shells a year, that's about $100 on shells I know work or $50 on "cheap" shells. For what I have invested in the season, scrimping to save $50 isn't worth watching ducks fly away.
Kevin Stupp
Kevin Stupp
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie D Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:48 pm

Whats the deal with black clouds? They are still steel, but supposedly pattern really tight,,what kind of choke you shootin with them?

Charlie D
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. Larry M Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:42 pm

Craig F wrote:I'd say 90% of my shooting is inside of 25 yards though. My dad has been shooting the hevi-metal and that gets the job done as well.

Bingo Craig, just about anything gets the job done when you bringing in close!
Capt. Larry M
Capt. Larry M
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

http://www.limitoutfitters.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Stupp Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Not positive on percentage, but I beieve it's around 50/50. Black Cloud is a mix of regular steel and what they call Flite Stopper steel. Is a steel pellet with a ring arund it. Picture the planet Saturn. The edge cuts in for better penetration. They other thing is the wad. It has the flight control wad that stays with the shot longer for tighter patterns.

As for chokes, I use to shoot my Full RemChoke. I don't "skybust", everything is under 40 yards. I either kill they, or miss them. This year I'm using a Carlson's Black Cloud Mid-Range extended tube. I REALLY like it. I'm thinking of getting the Long Range for field goose hunting. Those Giant Canadas can be real SOB's to bring down.
Kevin Stupp
Kevin Stupp
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

RIO AMMO Empty RIO

Post  Jim Donofrio Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:58 pm

So Far love the stuff shoots clean
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Stupp Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:28 am

scratch I never quite understood the worrying about how "clean" a load is. Even a so called "dirty" load isn't going to cause a problem during your hunt. If your gun is cleaned after each hunt like it should be, especally in salty environments, then its a non-issue.

Jim, how is it for knock down proformance? Are you just blowing feathers? A lot of cripples that have to be finished? Or is it stoning them? Big ducks, little ducks, brant, geese? What load / choke combo? confused
Kevin Stupp
Kevin Stupp
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

RIO AMMO Empty Rio

Post  Jim Donofrio Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:12 am

Kevin the clean issue with me is always blowback that burns your eyes all day // its clean and knock down and kill is great on big ducks and teal its a winner
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  David "swampy" L Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:49 pm

Jim, how is it for knock down proformance? Are you just blowing feathers? A lot of cripples that have to be finished? Or is it stoning them? Big ducks, little ducks, brant, geese? What load / choke combo?

Thats why I like the hevi-metal for divers(3" #3's 1 1/4oz).....VERY few "mop up" shots on decoying birds and it patterns great out of my SBE with, MOD, IMP or Light Mod(carlson choke)....For some reason the black cloud patterns like garbage for me.......For puddle ducks @ the ranges I normally shoot,I could probably kill them with confetti...I seldom if ever take a shot at puddler past 25yds......But since I buy the hevi-metal by the case I use it for puddlers too..Its like smacking them out of the air with a fungo bat! Very Happy Geese...KENTS (3" #1's 1 1/8oz) again most of the shots are with in 20 yds..........I NEVER, EVER have shot a 3.5" shell I don't understand the need? If you can't kill it with a 3" shell, you can't kill it with a 3.5 either!

as far as price Hevi-metal is the same or simialr(with in a few bucks) per case as black cloud, Blind side and cheaper then Hypersonic...Pluys you get 25 shells per box from a non-toxic shot blend(hevi-shot & steel)

I started shooting the hevi-metal 3 years ago and I very pleased with it!

David "swampy" L

Back to top Go down

RIO AMMO Empty RIO

Post  Jim Donofrio Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:00 am

the more I use this stuff the beter i like it going to rder more for next season
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie D Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:39 pm

able ammo is out of stock of most the Rios

Charlie D
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

RIO AMMO Empty rio

Post  Jim Donofrio Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:41 pm

not surprised it is good I am getting more for next season
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Mroz Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:41 pm

I shoot the Blackclouds almost always nemore..very clean and patterns great with a Briley light modify tube. Those ringed pellets make a nice wound channel !
Bob Mroz
Bob Mroz
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down