The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decoy racks

5 posters

Go down

Decoy racks Empty Decoy racks

Post  Eddie Kershaw Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:00 am

As a lot of you guys know Im building a BBSB type boat out of marine ply and at this moment in time the temps are not to good for apoxy or laminating work so in the meantime Im just getting on with what woodwork I can, then have one big apoxy and laminating session in the spring has the temps warm up, so now I have got a few questions to ask reguards decoy racks.

1) what type of wood do you use.

2)How high do you have them.

3) what thicknees are they

4) would it be possible for somebody to post up some close up pictures for me so I can see how these fit together

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber.

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Decoy racks Empty Re: Decoy racks

Post  Stevey Welsh Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:49 pm

I've seen people make the racks out of cedar, mahogony, and oak. The racks I have on my boat are oak, the thickness is like 3/8''(I have seen much thicker, my brothers is about 3/4"), and the height is only 5 or 6'' when i bought my boat the original racks that came with it were like 10'', pain in the ass literally getting in and out of the boat with them on as i ended up splitting one, one day getting out of the boat at the ramp so i cut them down. But most of the boats i've seen have racks about the same size.
Stevey Welsh
Stevey Welsh
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:08 pm

Stevey Welsh wrote:I've seen people make the racks out of cedar, mahogony, and oak. The racks I have on my boat are oak, the thickness is like 3/8''(I have seen much thicker, my brothers is about 3/4"), and the height is only 5 or 6'' when i bought my boat the original racks that came with it were like 10'', pain in the ass literally getting in and out of the boat with them on as i ended up splitting one, one day getting out of the boat at the ramp so i cut them down. But most of the boats i've seen have racks about the same size.

Stevey
Thanks mate for getting back to me with some anwsers, in the past I have noticed that some are straight and some are bent, I could,nt
imadgin bending somthing like 3/4" oak without having a steam box, thats anotherthing Im considering making when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Take care and God Bless
Eddie andAmber

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig F Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:01 pm

1/2" cedar for mine. I like to keep them low profile, 4-5" or so.
Craig F
Craig F
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:30 pm

Craig F wrote:1/2" cedar for mine. I like to keep them low profile, 4-5" or so.

Craig

Thanks for your reply mate, I take it that your cedar is white, I have been told that the red ceder rots like hell with the sea water, I dont know how true that is.

Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig F Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:28 pm

Eddie Kershaw wrote:

Craig

Thanks for your reply mate, I take it that your cedar is white, I have been told that the red ceder rots like hell with the sea water, I dont know how true that is.

Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber

Eddie,

My rear racks are white cedar, but my fronts I made myself from red. So far, so good going through two seasons. They are painted with Parker's duck boat paint, which is pretty heavy stuff though. I would have used white, but ran out of patience to find it and had red available. I soaked them in water and bent them to shape while wet.

BTW I have a cousin who lives in Manchester, used to duck hunt with my dad many years ago, doesn't anymore though.
Craig F
Craig F
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:56 pm

Craig F wrote:
Eddie Kershaw wrote:

Craig

Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber

Eddie,

My rear racks are white cedar, but my fronts I made myself from red. So far, so good going through two seasons. They are painted with Parker's duck boat paint, which is pretty heavy stuff though. I would have used white, but ran out of patience to find it and had red available. I soaked them in water and bent them to shape while wet.

BTW I have a cousin who lives in Manchester, used to duck hunt with my dad many years ago, doesn't anymore though.

Craig
what part of Manchester does your cousin live, I live in withington which is south Manchester.

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  dan s Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:04 am

Eddie Kershaw wrote:As a lot of you guys know Im building a BBSB type boat out of marine ply and at this moment in time the temps are not to good for apoxy or laminating work so in the meantime Im just getting on with what woodwork I can, then have one big apoxy and laminating session in the spring has the temps warm up, so now I have got a few questions to ask reguards decoy racks.

4) would it be possible for somebody to post up some close up pictures for me so I can see how these fit together

Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber.

Eddie

I have the same boat Craig has and have a similar setup (I think). The back racks came with the boat but I made racks for the bow. I used 1/2" white cedar for the racks and mounts and 5200 to mount them with stainless screws. They are 5 " high and about 24" long. Here are some pix of the front racks when I mounted them:

Decoy racks I-2bbLCR4-M

Decoy racks I-54TjphZ-M

Decoy racks I-LVM3bfc-M

I can get you more pics if you like.

dan s
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:04 pm

dan s wrote:
Eddie Kershaw wrote:As a lot of you guys know Im building a BBSB type boat out of marine ply and at this moment in time the temps are not to good for apoxy or laminating work so in the meantime Im just getting on with what woodwork I can, then have one big apoxy and laminating session in the spring has the temps warm up, so now I have got a few questions to ask reguards decoy racks.

Dan
Thanks very much mate those pictures will be very helpfull, I will save them on my laptop, if it would be possible could you please get me a few views of the rear decoy racks has I would like to see how they are fitted.

Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber.

Eddie

I have the same boat Craig has and have a similar setup (I think). The back racks came with the boat but I made racks for the bow. I used 1/2" white cedar for the racks and mounts and 5200 to mount them with stainless screws. They are 5 " high and about 24" long. Here are some pix of the front racks when I mounted them:

Decoy racks I-2bbLCR4-M

Decoy racks I-54TjphZ-M

Decoy racks I-LVM3bfc-M

I can get you more pics if you like.

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig F Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:56 pm

My rear racks are the same as Dans and I set up the front racks to attach in a similar way to the rear. Held in by pressure behind the oarlock, and wingnuts at the bow. I made them to be easily removable if need be. I took them off for the offseason last year and hung them up in the garage with the grass still on them.

Decoy racks PA310163

Decoy racks PA310165
Craig F
Craig F
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:50 pm

Craig

Thanks for the pictures mate now that gives me a better idear of how they are mounted, I think the thickness for mine are going to be 1/2"
and should be easyer to bend Wink

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  dan s Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:38 pm

Eddie

Here are some pics of the back racks. Sorry if they don't show everything - the sun was real bright and I have a lot of grass on the boat during the season. Let me know if you want any closer pics or descriptions:

Decoy racks DSC00412

Decoy racks DSC00411

Decoy racks DSC00410

Decoy racks DSC00409

Decoy racks DSC00408

Decoy racks DSC00407

Decoy racks DSC00406

Decoy racks DSC00413

Take care

Dan

dan s
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:32 pm

dan
Thanks for those pictures mate, now thinks are starting to make sence of how they are fitted cheers

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Godsey Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Some great ideas posted up here. I have an Kayak I hunt out of in spots and want more than just bungee cord hang ons. You guys got me to thinking cheers

Leaky
Rick Godsey
Rick Godsey
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Kershaw Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:25 pm

I would like to thank all you guys for the pictures and idears for the decoy racks, now I have something to go at and a better idear of what is required. Thank You.

Eddie Kershaw
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down