The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spray Shield

+2
Davey Welsh
Pete Burns
6 posters

Go down

Spray Shield Empty Spray Shield

Post  Pete Burns Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Does anyone have any info on a do it yourself spray shield? I would like to put one on my 8' Hybrid just not sure what materials to use.
Thanks
Pete Burns
Pete Burns
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Spray Shield Empty Re: Spray Shield

Post  Davey Welsh Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:51 pm

Not sure about a do-it-yourself spray dodger. Maybe make a frame using aluminum and then have someone do the canvas.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig F Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:20 pm

I had a gentleman in Tuckerton make mine, but I provided the material. 900D cordura from Macks. It's been holding up well, but from what I understand it could fade in the sun if you leave your rig outside in the offseason.

I have the same design as seen here:

Spray Shield Highlandercanvas
Craig F
Craig F
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Spray Shield Empty spray shield

Post  Jim Donofrio Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Pete if you are looking for a tradional BBSB type spray shield with a stick to hold it upright its pretty simple
email me your number jimdrfa@aol.com
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

http://www.JOINRFA.ORG

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Burns Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Jim, that's exactly what I'm thinking of. Something to keep the spray out of my face a little and any water coming over the bow diverted to the sides. I'll send my #
Pete Burns
Pete Burns
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Spray Shield Empty spray shield

Post  Jim Donofrio Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Roger standing by
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Spray Shield Empty here is my home made spray sheild

Post  Chris S. Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Here is a homemade spray sheild that a friend/seemstress and I made for my sneakbox. It wasn't really that hard it just took time.
This picture you can see I bent the frame with a hand conduit bender and put it together with bimini parts.
Spray Shield 01011
This picture is where we started to fit the canvas to the frame. I used canvas I bought at walmart It was cheap at only $4 for 60inches by 1yard. Its really good stuff its canvas on one side then it has a PVC rubberized backing we sewed the PVC sides face to face so it was 2 times thicker and the PVC was on the inside.
Spray Shield 01911
More fitting pieces to the frame for the top.
Spray Shield 02710
Here is the dodger almost compleat with only needing to do the side pieces that snap to the oar locks and adding grass straps.
Spray Shield 03710
Here she is all sewn up with the grass straps on. Almost ready to go. Next I added the stainless steal snaps around the bottom and to the oarlocks
Spray Shield 00810
Here it all done with fresh paint and snaps installed. now she just needs grass.
Spray Shield 01012

The only thing I would have done differant is to make the dodger higher on the last frame. I didn't account for sitting on a seat cushion and layers of cloths. I sit up Higher then I thought so I have to scooch my butt up more so when sitting up to shoot I don't hit my head. I got use to it and now its no biggie but if i would have added 2 inches it would have made it a bit better.

This last picture shows it grassed and the little spot where i sit and how well it hides me and my face. My face is just behind the grass so the birds can't see my face but I can still see very well through the little bit of grass. When I sit up to shoot. I come through the grass It hides me very well and works great. I went with this style spray sheild because I felt it hides me a lot better and also protects me from wind,rain,and the elements a lot better then the traditional style spraysheild. Good luck. Also can you post up some pictures of your hybird and give me some info on it likes dislikes do you row or push pole or do you use a motor. Do you tow it to your spot with a bigger boat. How well does it hide I will be building a pond box before next season and really like the hybird. I would like to hear you thoughts on it thanks.
Spray Shield 00410

Last edited by Chris S. on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Spray Shield Empty nice

Post  Jim Donofrio Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:30 pm

nice job Chris
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Burns Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:21 pm

Hey Chris, thanks for the reply and great pics. Awesome job on that dodger. Where did you buy the ss snaps and how did you sew the canvas? The Hybrid is a neat little boat. I built one for my friend and one for myself this summer. Finished weight is right around 70 pounds so you can just throw it in the back of a pick up and launch it just about anywhere, it can also be dragged or carried across shallow areas that other big rigs simply cannot access. I have a 3.5 Nissan on it and it seems to fit the boat perfectly. My friend has a 2hp mariner on his and it's a little under powered. I also keep a push pole/paddle on board for really shallow water and motor failures. I am still learning its limitations but if you are careful it can handle rougher water than you would expect of an 8' boat. This Tuesday I was on the Raritan with a 20+ West wind and had no real safety concern. If it's snotty I just try to stay close to shore and obviously can't do any layout hunts. I built mine a little different but it's most similar to an NL. I read pretty much every post on the Hybrid thread on the Refuge forums picking up different ideas from all the different builds. I mocked up a full size cardboard model before actually starting the build just to make sure everything was how I wanted it.

It can be hunted from the bank or as a layout. From the bank I just cover it with a piece of max4 burlap and grass it up with stuff from the shore line so it blends in no matter where you set up. For a layout I just stow the burlap. It is painted flat green and is really low profile so it works great for a layout and you can do it alone without the need for a tender. I bought a waverunner style anchor which has a float on the end of the line and clip so you can quickly disconnect the anchor and fetch the birds and then come right back click in and you're anchored up and ready to go again.

All grassed up (these are the two I built this summer)

Spray Shield IMAG0212

Water test before paint

Spray Shield IMAG0075

Spray Shield IMAG0074

If you decide to build one Missed on the Refuge forums sells plans that come with templates and an instructional video.
It really was a very simple build the most difficult part was the fiberglassing. It was a real pain and I ruined a lot of clothes in the process!! I got all the fiberglassing supplies from US Composites in Florida. I used an epoxy resin which is pricey but well worth the extra $$

Building it is half the fun and the looks and questions you will get from your neighbors while in the process are priceless!! Also, there is something really cool about gunning out of a rig that you built by hand... If you have any other questions feel free to ask
Pete Burns
Pete Burns
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris S. Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Pete,
Thanks for the info I have epoxy and fiberglassing experience. I reglassed my sneakbox with us composites over the summer. The project was fun. I am between the sanford box and a hybird. I am leaning twards the hybird I think it will be more versitile as a pond box layout blind and I can put a small motor on it as well thanks again.

Oh also I got my SS snaps from ebay I also got the setter to put em on the canvas its like a punch you hit with a hammer. Make sure you get the stainless ones they make some coated ones that a friend used and after one season they turned and wont hold very well. Good luck
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusty Black Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Sweet little boats....Honkers51
Rusty Black
Rusty Black
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Spray Shield Empty nice

Post  Jim Donofrio Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Pete very nice!!
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Those things look deadly as shit Pete!
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Burns Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks guys, I was determined to get these boats built this summer. I am home with my 17 month old son in the afternoons while my wife is at work and basically did it an hour at a time while he was taking his nap. Literally baby monitor on the boat as I was working! And yes he did wake up right in the middle of glassing a couple times!! Well worth the effort though they are a lot of fun to hunt out of.
Pete Burns
Pete Burns
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum