The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trailer tire size

+3
Capt. John
David "swampy" L
Chris S.
7 posters

Go down

trailer tire size Empty trailer tire size

Post  Chris S. Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:49 pm

I have 8 inch tires and wanna get bigger tires for next season. I felt the 8's were not really big enough for highway travel. I want to be more mobil next year and hunt different areas what is a good size to jump up to? What do most of you guys use. The fenders on my trailer adjust for a bigger tire that's good. Thanks guys.
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

trailer tire size Empty Re: trailer tire size

Post  David "swampy" L Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:29 pm

12" galvanized

David "swampy" L

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris S. Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:27 pm

David "swampy" L wrote:12" galvanized

Is that the next size up from 8's also do they make 12's in 4 lug that's what I have no is 4 lug
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. John Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Chris,

Go with a 4.80 X 12 tire and galvanized rim. There are available in 4 bolt 4" pattern.

Try these guys:http://www.franklintrailers.com/
They have two locations in Jersey. I have used them before. Prices are good on most items.

Capt. John
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Salzer Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:01 pm

Etrailer.com has almost any size tire/rim combo you can think of. The prices are good too. I went from 8" to 12" galvanized last year. The only thing that sucks is the trailer is higher off the ground and you'll need deeper water to launch/load. Well, launching isn't that bad, I just push the boat off. But getting it back on the trailer in low water is a pain.

Scott Salzer
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  David "swampy" L Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:21 pm

Chris S. wrote:
David "swampy" L wrote:12" galvanized

Is that the next size up from 8's also do they make 12's in 4 lug that's what I have no is 4 lug

yep thats what I have 4.8 x 12" 4 lug

David "swampy" L

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris S. Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Mine now are 8x5.30 can I got to the 12x4.80 with the change from 5.30 to 4.80 matter I know I can adjust my fenders no problem but not sure on the 5.30 to 4.80 I am guessing it won't matter

Also I have a tilt trailer so I can pull the pin and push it off or on pretty easy
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. John Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:55 pm

Chris S. wrote:Mine now are 8x5.30 can I got to the 12x4.80 with the change from 5.30 to 4.80 matter I know I can adjust my fenders no problem but not sure on the 5.30 to 4.80 I am guessing it won't matter

Also I have a tilt trailer so I can pull the pin and push it off or on pretty easy

Chris,

Make sure to check the clearance between the back of the tires and the trailers frame to accomodate the wider tires. I know you said you have the clearance to go up in height but make sure you have the clearance between the chassis and tires.

I had a trailer that I did the same thing with and didn't have clearance between the frame and tires. I was lucky and did not have to replace the axle. I made a 3/8" thick spacer to go between the rim and hub. Not the best way to do things but it gave me that little bit of clearance I needed so the tires would not rub on the trailer frame.

Capt. John
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris S. Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:24 pm

I thought I was going smaller from the 5.30 to 4.80
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Godsey Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:21 pm

You might want to check out Northern Tool. A couple years ago I got new hubs with bearings rims and tires all for under 200 with the end of year sales. Then I was set for the summer and fall.I got the 12" rims 5 hole when I ordered they also have 4 hole rimsw/tires.

Rick
Rick Godsey
Rick Godsey
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:32 am

Here is one way to do it 1250roller EZLoader with 12" tires. With the roller trailer you to never put the hubs in the water, just the tire and a BBSB will roll up right up the center. David trailer tire size 12_er_15

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:38 am

I wouldn't put a wooden sneakbox on a roller trailer. I know a guy who got a hole punched through his hull from a roller trailer.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris S. Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Davey Welsh wrote:I wouldn't put a wooden sneakbox on a roller trailer. I know a guy who got a hole punched through his hull from a roller trailer.

Yeah I heard the same kinda think about putting wood snaeakboxs on rollers. If i pulled the pin and tilted the trailer every time I wouldn't have to dunk the hubs but I only tilt it if I need to. I found 12x5.30 the best price I found so far was like 104.99 and that was with shipping included. so 52.50 a tire and rim. Not to bad. It's on the list of crap to buy for next season.
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:55 pm

I wouldn't worry about dunking the hubs. If you have good buddy bearings or sealed bearings, you're fine. Galvanized trailers will last awhile. Trailer lights are the things you don't want getting submerged because you'll be buying new bulbs every year.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

trailer tire size Empty trailer

Post  Jim Donofrio Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:13 pm

no rollers on cedar boats and get LED lights for the few times you may dunk them they are waterproof brighter and dont have heat so when you launch there is no problem
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

http://www.JOINRFA.ORG

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris S. Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:51 pm

Jim Donofrio wrote:no rollers on cedar boats and get LED lights for the few times you may dunk them they are waterproof brighter and dont have heat so when you launch there is no problem

I have all of the above. No rollers. I even put my LED's up on guide ons that I built. I did this for 2 main reasons: 1 so the lights are more eye level with the car behind me so they will see them eaiser and not rear end me. 2 It keep the lights up and out of thw water. Even thought the LED's are waterproof I figured they will last even longer if they don't get dunked in salt water. So far it has worked out really well. Here are a fer pictures of the guide ons I made and how the lights are on the top.

And here is the sneakbox when it was not looking so good. You can see the guide ons I made out of PVC and the lights on top that never get dunked
trailer tire size 21010
trailer tire size 27210
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down