The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Change in season dates

+4
Jim Donofrio
Capt. Larry M
Davey Welsh
Mike B
8 posters

Go down

Change in season dates Empty Change in season dates

Post  Mike B Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:58 pm

There has been some discussion about changing the season dates here in Jersey. Previously I had spoken about this without gathering all the facts and probably made myself loook like an idiot. But, my concern was with New Jersey and not the rest of the Atlantic and Mississippi flyway.

I think that we all pretty much know that we will not be getting extra hunting days even though the Pacific boys enjoy and really long season, but we can try to change some dates a little.

Option A and B

Option A is to shorten the 1st half of the split and add the days to the end of the season. The locals in most areas are blown out in a few days, so having the 1st half of the season open for 2 weeks may be anything but "overkill"

Option B is to close duck hunting during the deer season (shotgun) and add the days to the end of the season. Remember, small game is closed during the shotgun season as well. If most of the duck hunters are out deer hunting, why not close the duck season. It seems that when deer season is open, the ducks are a bit slow at that time because the resident birds have skipped town and new flocks haven't usually arrived by then. So, if we ain't hunting, add the days to the end. I'd rather give up one day of "maybe hunting" during deer season for 6 extra days of "will be hunting" after deer season.

The Coastal season is open till January 24th. I wouldn't look to add a week to that to start pushing us into February. The north zone closes Dec. 31st. This is probably a week to 10 days too soon. The south zone closes January 7. This is probably a week to 10 days too soon.

So, a little giveback in the early season can sure put us into some prime hunting times by the end of the season.

Thoughts Question Question Question
Mike B
Mike B
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Change in season dates Empty Re: Change in season dates

Post  Davey Welsh Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:16 pm

Option A.

Mike, why don't we talk with Delta and see if they are interested in a mutual exchange with our web forum. We'll start a Delta specific section and Delta recruits members to the site through their magazine. Just a thought.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. Larry M Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:41 pm

Mike, the coastal season should go to the last possible day. Many years the diver hunting doesnt get good until the last couple of weeks I propose closing down the 1st week of November and having a season that more closely mirrors Long Island's season.
Capt. Larry M
Capt. Larry M
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

http://www.limitoutfitters.com

Back to top Go down

Change in season dates Empty coastal

Post  Jim Donofrio Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:46 pm

Larry NJ has to have a season in Nov to qualify for the split season 3 zone program we dont want to loose that . I agree we dont need that many days up front we need only 3 days to qualify and we could end last weekend in January
South and north should open sat to sat add the balance on the end and I know its risky if we get artic condititons but but we should consider average weather and in my opinion that would be best for all
North would have another week in Jan and south would also get another week in jan
plus closing south and north so early just put too much pressure on coastal
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

http://www.JOINRFA.ORG

Back to top Go down

Post  David "swampy" L Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:53 pm

NJ has to have a season in Nov to qualify for the split season 3 zone program we dont want to loose that .

Yep...But it only has to be 3 days

Option B is to close duck hunting during the deer season (shotgun) and add the days to the end of the season. Remember, small game is closed during the shotgun season as well. If most of the duck hunters are out deer hunting, why not close the duck season

Well, SOME duck hunters ARE NOT out deer hunting Why penalize them By taking prime Lower pressure days out in december ???

The Coastal season is open till January 24th. I wouldn't look to add a week to that to start pushing us into February. The north zone closes Dec. 31st. This is probably a week to 10 days too soon. The south zone closes January 7. This is probably a week to 10 days too soon.

So, a little giveback in the early season can sure put us into some prime hunting times by the end of the season.

Its also can back fire on you! Not all of us have a battleship like Capt. Larry....The last 2 years many North, south & coastal zone spots where LOCKED UP by the 28th of December

What many of you fail to realize is the season dates are NOT set up to allow maxium harvest potential to waterfowlers..They are constructed in a way that allows waterfowlers to have ample opportunities.......But also to allow migratory fowl to pass through with an appropriate amount of rest to hunting pressure ratio.........

David "swampy" L

Back to top Go down

Change in season dates Empty seasons

Post  Jim Donofrio Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Dave you are correct on the 3 day and that works well for coastal, when we had that program the coast stayed in until the last sat in January and thats what works best for most.
talked to a few guys and they dont want to loose the deer week also for ducks
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike B Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:11 am

Option B is to close duck hunting during the deer season (shotgun) and add the days to the end of the season. Remember, small game is closed during the shotgun season as well. If most of the duck hunters are out deer hunting, why not close the duck season

Well, SOME duck hunters ARE NOT out deer hunting Why penalize them By taking prime Lower pressure days out in december ???

THAT IS WHY IT IS CALLED OPTION B. LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK.

Mike B
Mike B
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike B Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:15 am

Its also can back fire on you! Not all of us have a battleship like Capt. Larry....The last 2 years many North, south & coastal zone spots where LOCKED UP by the 28th of December

What many of you fail to realize is the season dates are NOT set up to allow maxium harvest potential to waterfowlers..They are constructed in a way that allows waterfowlers to have ample opportunities.......But also to allow migratory fowl to pass through with an appropriate amount of rest to hunting pressure ratio......... [/quote]

This is not a fill your strap thread. It is not a mystery that the climate and the migration has changed. Birds come later and later every year and only go as far as they need to have their food, water and cover needs met. All I am looking for is some feedback to see what direction we should take this if any
Mike B
Mike B
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Change in season dates Empty season

Post  Jim Donofrio Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:31 am

Federal framework only allows a season that goes untill Jan 30 I believe we should try to maximize that for coastal
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. Larry M Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:46 am

Jim Donofrio wrote:Federal framework only allows a season that goes untill Jan 30 I believe we should try to maximize that for coastal

Agreeed Jim, surronding states such as MD and NY Long island go to the end. Even in years like the past few years where there was alot of ice, if you do your homework there are always places to get out and have some fantastic gunning
Capt. Larry M
Capt. Larry M
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

http://www.limitoutfitters.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:18 pm

David "swampy" Lo Buono wrote:

What many of you fail to realize is the season dates are NOT set up to allow maxium harvest potential to waterfowlers..They are constructed in a way that allows waterfowlers to have ample opportunities.......But also to allow migratory fowl to pass through with an appropriate amount of rest to hunting pressure ratio.........

When the framework was originally set for the waterfowl season, this is also when the mass migration occured in November and December. My father, who has 30+ years of duck hunting experience, tells me of days when they were breaking ICE on thanksgiving morning. The Delaware river is a major waterway for migrating waterfowl. In the 1970's it would be covered with birds by October and November. The last decade, those birds don't show until Late December and January...right when the season closes.

So if ducks have changed their migrations, shouldn't we change the season dates to correspond to that?
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. John Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:31 pm

When the framework was originally set for the waterfowl season, this is also when the mass migration occured in November and December. My father, who has 30+ years of duck hunting experience, tells me of days when they were breaking ICE on thanksgiving morning. The Delaware river is a major waterway for migrating waterfowl. In the 1970's it would be covered with birds by October and November. The last decade, those birds don't show until Late December and January...right when the season closes.

So if ducks have changed their migrations, shouldn't we change the season dates to correspond to that?
[/quote]

Duck comunicate better with each other and use reasoning to establish their migrations. Our law makers don't communicate well and just follow the leader weather the leader is right or wrong. I don't see them changing season dates to easily. I'm just glad our season on LI goes till Jan 29th. With luck we may just get to see some ducks towards the end of our season.

Capt. John
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Change in season dates Empty ice

Post  Jim Donofrio Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:16 pm

I agree Larry I always manage to get out if you are willing to do some hard work/take the season till last sat in jan or the 30th which ever works out
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike B Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:59 pm

Would I be able to obtain a list from the state to do a survey that is conducted by Delta Waterfowl to see what the general consensus is among waterfowlers???

I don't understand why some people are against changing the season. We are not out to fill straps each and everytime. A few times would be nice. We are looking to change the season so it better coincides with the migration so we CAN shoot more birds though. That is why we hunt. That is why deer hunter's, hunt the rut. That is why turkey hunters, hunt the spring mating season....to better their chances of killing a deer or turkey. This is why the deer hunting clubs "drive" deer because the hunting othewise would suck so they have to push the deer out.
Mike B
Mike B
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Change in season dates Empty lists

Post  Jim Donofrio Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:03 pm

Mike sometimes states rent out lists to non profits see if NJ will do the survey and we will pay the postage
we have to design the survey so its fair
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike B Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:43 pm

I certainly don't have all the answers and everyones voice should be heard on this issue.

I'll look into it in the next day or so and post results
Mike B
Mike B
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Bryant Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:44 pm

The only thing I would say is make the Canada Special Winter Season zones the western,central and southwestern part of the state. There is no point of having it in Essex,Bergen, Passaic, Hudson counties. Yes I agree with Dave and its not about shooting the maximum amount of birds and let a good number of birds reach the breeding areas but theres barely any places to hunt in those counties due to the subarban area. Just my $.02.

Tom Bryant
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Stupp Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:43 pm

The Specal Winter Goose Season is actually targeting resident geese, that's why the bad limit increase to 5. Yes there are migrants in the area too, that's why its 5 not 15. The state choice those area based on band reports from local goose banding.
Kevin Stupp
Kevin Stupp
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down