The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last hunt of my season brings luck!

+7
Tom Bryant
Jode Hillman
Davey Welsh
Capt. Larry M
Stevey Welsh
Capt. John
Pete Burns
11 posters

Go down

Last hunt of my season brings luck! Empty Last hunt of my season brings luck!

Post  Pete Burns Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Got out alone today and had a great hunt. First light I got buzzed by a couple blacks and didn't even have time to get the gun up. Next up was about 40 brant that decoyed into my bb blocks. They hung around taunting me swimming 10 feet off the bow of my rig! Next up out of absolutely nowhere drops in 3 hen goldeneye. They hit the water and were swimming in the deeks before I could even place a hand on my 870. I waited for them to dive and then got ready for when they came back up. As soon as they surfaced they saw me sitting up and took flight. I managed a clean shot bringing one bird down. As I stood up anxious to grab my trophy 6 suicidal bufflehead headed straight into my bb spread. Bang! bang! two more ducks in the water. Before I could even take another step one last buff comes screaming in and bang! he hit the water too! I couldn't believe they wanted into my spread so bad with me standing in plain sight 10 yards away... Now I grab the boat and start out after the GE which had started to float away. As I was out collecting these 4 birds I look up to see a loan drake broadie drop into my spread. No sooner than he landed, he tucks his head and goes to sleep. I take the boat around to the other side of the point I was on and get out and belly crawl across the point to within 20 yards of my decoys. The BB notices movement and swims off a little and then eventually swims right back. I jump him up and bang! he too will be taking a ride home in the Hybrid!

All in all one of my best hunts to date. My first ever Goldeneye which I will be mounting up with the drake bb

Here are some pics:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Pete Burns
Pete Burns
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Last hunt of my season brings luck! Empty Re: Last hunt of my season brings luck!

Post  Capt. John Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:17 pm

Congrats Pete
Looks like you had a great day

Capt. John
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Last hunt of my season brings luck! Empty Re: Last hunt of my season brings luck!

Post  Stevey Welsh Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:40 pm

congrats pete always nice to end the season on a good note
Stevey Welsh
Stevey Welsh
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. Larry M Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Pete, glad you had a good time, FYI the Goldeneye is a juvenile bird, just thought you might want to know before heading to the taxidemist, congrats on your 1st
Capt. Larry M
Capt. Larry M
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

http://www.limitoutfitters.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Burns Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Capt. Larry, thanks for the info. I haven't seen many GE but I said the same thing to a friend that I thought it looked like a juvenile. I was basing that off of the coloration of the bill but wasn't sure. What are the indicators I should be looking for?
Pete Burns
Pete Burns
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Nice hunt Pete. Too bad it wasn't a drake goldeneye!
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Burns Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Ha, I know... the other day I had a drake about 100 yards out from where I was set. Today these 3 dropped right into my bb decoys. I was still pretty psyched
Pete Burns
Pete Burns
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Jode Hillman Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Nice looks like a good hunt! Congrats!
Jode Hillman
Jode Hillman
FNG
FNG

http://www.hillmandecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Bryant Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:56 pm

Looks like a nice hunt. Congrats Pete!

Tom Bryant
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. Larry M Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:17 pm

Pete Burns wrote:Capt. Larry, thanks for the info. I haven't seen many GE but I said the same thing to a friend that I thought it looked like a juvenile. I was basing that off of the coloration of the bill but wasn't sure. What are the indicators I should be looking for?

Bill is one indicator, the tail feathers not shown in the picture would be another and the plummage at this time of year not being in full plumage is another indicator
Capt. Larry M
Capt. Larry M
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

http://www.limitoutfitters.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mike bartosh Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Nice Shoot!

mike bartosh
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Jersey Charlie Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Good for you Pete! Best way to end the season, that's what brings you back.
Charlie
Jersey Charlie
Jersey Charlie
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  farrukh ashraf Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Way to go Pete, what a nice mixed bag.

farrukh ashraf
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Last hunt of my season brings luck! Empty nice

Post  Jim Donofrio Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Pete nice way to finish up
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

http://www.JOINRFA.ORG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down