The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duck Recipes

5 posters

Go down

Duck Recipes Empty Duck Recipes

Post  Russell Vrhovac Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:00 pm

I thought we needed a Recipe thread.

Looking to use mergansers and bufflehead for anything other than retriever training tools. thoughts? I have tried to eat both but the cat wouldn't even touch the hoodie.
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Duck Recipes Empty Re: Duck Recipes

Post  Ryan McGinty Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:21 pm

i have tried doing bbq nuggets wraped in bacon with buffys they werent to bad but hoodies are training tools for the dog!

for mallards i love doing want was called duck suprise you take a breast and butterfly cut it, fold it open pound it alittle put salt pepper, cream cheese and jalopeno peppers inside close it up wrap it with bacon and cover in bbq sauce (sweet baby rays) on the grill, the original recipe called for italian dressing but i love bbq!!! i made it for a buch of friends one night and everybody loved it even all the girls that were there.

Ryan McGinty
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray_J Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:43 pm

I found a bufflehead recipe that will have me shooting them more often. Cut the breasts in small chucks and marinade for a few hours in a mix of olive oil and Buck Gardner Smokey Mountain Seasoning (I am sure you could use Montreal Steak Seasoning or your other favorite spices).

Cook some bacon about 1/2 way done in the microwave. Figure on 1/2 or 1/3 slice per buffy chunk.

Wrap a piece of bacon around the buffie chunks and a slice of mushroom and cook it fast over a hot grill.

Simple and tasty. Friends who are not hunters ask me to bring this to every get together now.
Ray_J
Ray_J
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Duck Recipes Empty Cajun Black Scoters

Post  Russell Vrhovac Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:14 am

I cooked some scoter I shot on Thanksgiving morning about 5 years ago in a cast-iron skillet and they were dredged in dry cajun seasoning and blackened in butter, Sliced thin. It was probably one of the best duck I ever ate which is saying something for a sea-duck.
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve L Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:49 pm

I'm always seeing people ask "how do you make seaducks or divers edible ? "

Well you can't just make a plain Jane recipe that's for sure but there are ways to make any duck taste good. The one key is to get absolutely every bit of fat off the meat, especially the seaducks. I also soak everything in water for a few days to get some of the blood out. I have a spicy stew recipe that I usually use for seaducks that is good but I also have a go to recipe that the GF just goes crazy over. I usually use divers or big ducks in this one but last weekend I used a few oldsquaw and a ww scoter. I told her that "it might no be as good this time" since I'm using seaducks, well what do ya know, she loved it !! I could tell a slight difference but it was still very good.

Sushi and a bottle of sweet red wine is also mandatory for us but not necessary. If you're into spicy food like I am you can use a full teaspoon or more of the red pepper flakes but just be sure not to burn them too much or it will be really really spicy hot.

So here it is....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Steve L
Steve L
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

http://www.diverdownphotography.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Godsey Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:52 pm

One of my favorite things to cook with is fruit cocktail. When I wa sin the Army I was in the Signal Corp before I retired and worked with a guy from Hawaii. He would stuff chicken, ducks and geese with it and bake. It gives the polynesian type flavor to what you're cooking. Very Happy

Rick
Rick Godsey
Rick Godsey
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down