The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boat Paint

+5
Jim Donofrio
Capt. John
Chris S.
Davey Welsh
Stevey Welsh
9 posters

Go down

Boat Paint Empty Boat Paint

Post  Stevey Welsh Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:56 pm

What type of boat paint are you guys using? When refiberglassed my boat 2 seasons ago i bought this paint from my local marine shop i forget the name of it but it i dont forget the price wasn't cheap. At the end of the first season after being refinished i already noticed the paint wearing off and at the end of this season it could definitely need a new paint job for the coming season just not sure what to go with.
Stevey Welsh
Stevey Welsh
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Boat Paint Empty Re: Boat Paint

Post  Davey Welsh Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:14 am

You bought Petit paint from N&B didn't you? Petit is supposedly better than Parker.

I think regardless of what paint you use, its going to wear on a duck boat. The key is proper steps to painting. I used a primer on my Estuary and while there are a few spots where the paint shows some wear, I really don't need to repaint this year. Also too Steve, what final sand did you do on your boat? 100 grit? 80? You'll get better paint adhesion with a more abrasive surface. Finish sanding should be 80 grit. Use Rustoleum oil based primer (black) and then 2-3 coats of Marine oil based like Petit. You'll still show some wear spots though, thats what happens when you're always getting in and out, throwing mud, grass etc. on the boat. Wait till Frankie starts going too...then you'll get claw scratches! Very Happy
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Boat Paint Empty I used parkers

Post  Chris S. Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:07 am

I used parkers I bought from Tips Hardware. It held up very well this season. I did like davey said I did my finish sand with 80 grit then did 3 light coats. I didn't use any primers though. I am happy with parkers and its the cheapest out there.
Chris S.
Chris S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. John Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:52 pm

While there are many ways and different paints to use to get the job done, doing it right is always best.
I would suggest using Interlux Interprotect 2000E as your primer, it is simply the best primer available. It is an epoxy base primer and also acts as a barrier coat to protect from water intrusion then paint with Pettit marine paint or similar high quality marine coating.

The overall cost of using a better products on a duck boat sized project is small. You are probably talking about less than $50 to $100 diffenence to do it right.
I paint all my duck boats with Interprotect 2000E and finish coats using Pettit Dead Dull grass.
I will also use the Interprotect on new fiberglass boats as a primer before applying anti-fouling bottom paint.

Capt. John
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Boat Paint Empty Paint

Post  Jim Donofrio Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:09 pm

John and dave are spot on prep is the key and Pettit is the best
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

http://www.JOINRFA.ORG

Back to top Go down

Post  Stevey Welsh Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks for all the input guy, I think i'm going to go with rustoleum black primer and use petit dull grass as my top coat.
Stevey Welsh
Stevey Welsh
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  David "swampy" L Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:50 pm

Pettit marine shipendec is the tits! Prep and application is key with any pant job

Here is what I do, and you can get it done in one nice early spring weekend!

I lightly sand(220 grit) the entire boat surface w/ an orbital sander...then I fill a spray bottle with acetone, spray and wipe down the whole surface. Then I paint the entire boat with rustoleum flat black or brown enamel you can mix with paint thinner if you want. Let dry over night. Then I coat with the shipendec(dull dead grass #3303) I mix the first 2 coats with some thinner( I also add rough grit play sand) Then use up the rest. 1 qt can do a 14ft boat

David "swampy" L

Back to top Go down

Post  Stevey Welsh Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:34 pm

I like the idea of the play sand dave, might end up doing that. Why do you thin out the first 2 coats though?
Stevey Welsh
Stevey Welsh
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Boat Paint Empty paint

Post  Jim Donofrio Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Stevey get some Penetrol its great stuff for working paint
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  Stevey Welsh Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:39 pm

That's like a clear coat correct Jim?
Stevey Welsh
Stevey Welsh
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Boat Paint Empty paint

Post  Jim Donofrio Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:42 pm

Steve, no its an additive we have used for yers on wood boats to help make the paint flow and adhere better you will like it

all good boatyard painters always use it
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  Stevey Welsh Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:50 pm

Oh okay sweet, i will look into that jim. I definitely want to do it right this year and get the most out of the paint. I should have primed it after i refiberglassed it but i figured after doing a light sand i figured the paint would bond just as well. I was wrong..ha.
Stevey Welsh
Stevey Welsh
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Boat Paint Empty paint

Post  Jim Donofrio Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:51 pm

bring it down to my garage and I will do it with you I have all the stuff including the Paint
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:20 am

Jim Donofrio wrote:bring it down to my garage and I will do it with you I have all the stuff including the Paint

There ya go Stevey!!! I'll come with you, and afterwards Jimmy will take us to his Asian massage parlor!!! LOL!!! Shocked

Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:22 am

David "swampy" L wrote:Pettit marine shipendec is the tits! Prep and application is key with any pant job

Here is what I do, and you can get it done in one nice early spring weekend!

I lightly sand(220 grit) the entire boat surface w/ an orbital sander...then I fill a spray bottle with acetone, spray and wipe down the whole surface. Then I paint the entire boat with rustoleum flat black or brown enamel you can mix with paint thinner if you want. Let dry over night. Then I coat with the shipendec(dull dead grass #3303) I mix the first 2 coats with some thinner( I also add rough grit play sand) Then use up the rest. 1 qt can do a 14ft boat

Thats an excellent process Dave. I used actual non-skid additive to my paint last year, but I bet play sand is a hell of a lot cheaper. The paint on my Estuary held up like a mofo last year. After I epoxied the deck, I sanded with 80 grit paper. Laid down two coats of rustoleum flat black oil based primer and then 3 coats of Petit paint. I only have a handful of paint chips, which is gonna happen on a well used duck boat!! Btw, rustoleum oil based paint is the most durable paint you will ever buy (aside from epoxy paint). Older time taught me this years ago for priming decoys for paint. Rusto is the shit and it really held a good bond.

I've learned that there are two types of bonds for paint applications - chemical bond and friction bond. Most of our boats are painted with a friction bond, so getting a roughened surface for priming is key and using a flat sheen oil based primer works best.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Boat Paint Empty Tuff Coat

Post  Russell Vrhovac Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:45 am

I used "Ultra Tuff Rubberized Sound-Deadening Coating" on my deck and false-deck. It has small rubber chunks in it and when you roll it on your boat deck it leaves the rubber pieces as non-skid. It really keeps the sun glare down and it is paintable (I use camo spray paint for in-season touch-ups) and seals any exposed wood as well. The dog really appreciates it also as now she doesn't slide off the boat when her foot hits any non-grassed surface, I put it on my false deck and it helps keep the sound down and myself from going flying in the air when I stand on the deck on days when the temp drops below freezing.
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  TA Smith Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:46 pm

I have used petit paint, petrol and a foam roller- the paint will last a while.

TA Smith
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  mike bartosh Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Lou Tisch, Lock,Stock and Barrel!

mike bartosh
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down