The Duck Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LETS TALK SAFETY

+2
Davey Welsh
Rick Godsey
6 posters

Go down

LETS TALK SAFETY Empty LETS TALK SAFETY

Post  Rick Godsey Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Hey guys most of us are getting ready for early seasons if we're not in them now. As an old retired airborne infantry guy safety checks was the priorty. Not trying to say we dont but sometimes as the seasons "jump" us we rush. Be safe and do some checks while we can before its to late. Check those PFDs, Gas lines in boats, heater lines if you use a heater. Dont forget the last minute once over for you gun also. Those emergency flares if you carry them check the date. And dont forget your dog. They need to be safe also, like a vest if its cold. I know there is more but I would hate to find a DLC friend lost because of an oversight. Hunt safe and enjoy life.

Rick
Rick Godsey
Rick Godsey
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

LETS TALK SAFETY Empty Re: LETS TALK SAFETY

Post  Davey Welsh Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:15 am

Well said Rick!
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

http://www.davidwelsh.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

LETS TALK SAFETY Empty Safety

Post  Russell Vrhovac Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:35 am

Davey,

We started a safety thread last year, it may be worthwhile to re-post it in this thread to add to it.

As for safety, I finally have two extendable pushpole/paddles for use on my boat just in case my motor craps-out. The paddles also have the decoy hooksw built in, which is pretty handy.

Russell
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

LETS TALK SAFETY Empty safety

Post  Jim Donofrio Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:50 am

Rick, roger that
most new hunters and some older dont get that fact about safety especially when running boats
Jim Donofrio
Jim Donofrio
The Godfather
The Godfather

http://www.JOINRFA.ORG

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:57 am

All loaded up to go quackin and almost forgot my life jacket! I put together a nice safety kit for the boat this year. Includes a wool blanket, flare kit, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, sharp serrated knife and a zippo lighter in a dry bag. Think I'm set for anything.
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Vrhovac Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:16 am

These are nice ideas but lets remember that should we get separated from our boats all of the gear is in the boat. I keep a "ditch bag" just in case I have to evacuate the boat. I also try to keep a 'pen' flare kit or an extra flare and whistle in my life vest to get to easily. Another handy thing is to have waterproof matches, jet-lighter and fire starting materials to use that will light up quickly. A flashlight with a clip is handy to keep on the life vest as well.

Russell
Russell Vrhovac
Russell Vrhovac
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Mroz Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:30 pm

I havent been on in a while but id like to chime in on this one. New guys watch over loading ur boat and being over confident out there !! If u have a 2 man home mad sneak box and u have two guys gear and its 40 mph winds and waves stay the hell home !! If im turning around in a 16 foot boat with 2 foot deep side to the floor follow me !! Also maintenance on ur boat should be done prior to season or at least the night before Lets not drain our carbs at the ramp at 4am from last year. not really a good idea in the dark, or spilling the gas into the water. Someone could get hurt when ur only flashlight is a lighter !! Guys going out in kayaks just cause ur not under power doesn't mean u should have lights on ur boat when going out in the dark,for safetys sake !! Wasnt venting just have seen a lot of really stupid shit end of last season and beginning of this one. Dont wanna go to another duck hunters funeral because of something stupid that could have been prevented.
Bob Mroz
Bob Mroz
Amatuer Gunner
Amatuer Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Godsey Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:43 pm

Good point about the lights Bob. Here on the Hudson I also carry a hand held VHF marine radio. I have the channels preprogrammed that they use. If I am out on the river at o dark 30 and see a barge or tug coming my direction I will call and letem know i am out there. Sometimes they dont see the low profile boats even with lights here. Hunt safe and enjoy gang.

Rick
Rick Godsey
Rick Godsey
Regular Gunner
Regular Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Davey Welsh Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:59 pm

I was glad I had a first aid kit in the boat Saturday. Sliced the palm of my hand in the morning getting grass off the prop. Was able to patch it up and keep from getting infected!
Davey Welsh
Davey Welsh
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry V Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:10 am

Talking about safety, in light on the recent storm we have to look towards navigating to our hunt locations.
There is alot of debris floating, plus building materials that may have dislodged and placed themselves in your path.
Take the extra time necessary to travel slowly with plenty of light so a collison can be prevented. Water rescues will take a responders
a long time to get to you, the Coast Guard is out in force providing security for the barrier islands.
Take the extra time for safe navigation

Larry V
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down